Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Claim Decided On March 10th. Now What?

Rate this question

pilgrim01

Question

I called the 1-800 number on Friday and the rep told me that my claim had been finalized and given a rating on Tuesday, March 10th! She said she could not see what it was though. How long until I see or hear anything in writing? I filed my claim mid-August under the "pre-discharge" program. Don't know the actual name. I retired Nov 1st. Thanks!

• Answers 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Meddac,

Thanks for the info. Helps us all.

Assuming that the C&P is part of the adjudicated, is there anyway that we would know if adjudication is completed and moved to the Rater?

I would ask for a idea of time from adjudication to rating but I know that is a hard one to call.

C&P exams are generally part of the adjudication process although the rater can order a C&P as well. The time is too tough to call for the move from adjudication to ratings. Some veterans send in a new issue every week which delays their claim because it goes back to the beginning again. Some sources of information are also slow in coming to the VA (i.e. SSA, VHA, employment, and private records).

If you call, the rep can see if your claim is "ready for decision". That is the first sign that your claim is heading to the rater. HOWEVER, if new mail comes in on your claim while the rater has it, then he/she will do a deferred decision, and send it back to be developed. It's important for the veteran to get everything in up front, and to let the VA know of all of his/her care up front. There are claims out there that are old because someone at the VA is dragging their feet, and there are claims that are old because the veteran continues to prolong the process with new claims, new treatment, and the regular "get well" letters to the VA.

If you have all of your ducks in a row when you apply, then the process can work favorably for you in terms of time.

Meddac,

I did call and asked to check the Virtual and they said it showed me at 40%. I want that magical number of 50! Well, since I have been going to the doctor for the past two weeks for one of the conditions I claimed (don't know what it was awarded, if at all). AMVETS initailly helped with my claim. Now, how do I go about appealing or requsing additional awards? Expecially, since I have filed back in August, the doctors have found (from XRay results)..."Disc space is narrowing is moderate and in extent at L5-S1. Multilevel spondylosis is seen. The sacroilac joints appear within normal limits. The L5 vertebral body appears partially sacralized bilaterally. Minimal multilevel degenerative disease."

That was discovered last month. It didn't have a name when I filed. The AMVET rep just called it "foot numbness condition" and again, I don't know what it was awarded, if at all. I am now waiting on the MRI results, also.

So, what should I do now with the X-Rays and MRI results. I'm trying to reach that 50% threshold. I don't even have a DVA REp or anything. I don't even know how to acquire one. Any and all assistance is welcomed. Thanks, all!

• HadIt.com Elder

Just lil ole Cowgirl here suggesting you wait until you get your letter to see what the results of this claim are. Just keep reading all Rentalguys posts, you may asorb additional information about your condition to share with VA and private doctors. Valid diagnosis and opinions always needed. (last I looked all medical conditions,are listed or at least categorized in the VA schedule of ratings).

Also, heads up, if you have given AMVETS power of attorney, you should continue using them or retract your POA. If you find a good vso hang onto them, had a few seatwarmers before I got to a frankly good vso. With over ten years struggle, I know self advocacy, study and persistence win.

Best to ya,

Cg'up2009!

Meddac,

I did call and asked to check the Virtual and they said it showed me at 40%. I want that magical number of 50! Well, since I have been going to the doctor for the past two weeks for one of the conditions I claimed (don't know what it was awarded, if at all). AMVETS initailly helped with my claim. Now, how do I go about appealing or requsing additional awards? Expecially, since I have filed back in August, the doctors have found (from XRay results)..."Disc space is narrowing is moderate and in extent at L5-S1. Multilevel spondylosis is seen. The sacroilac joints appear within normal limits. The L5 vertebral body appears partially sacralized bilaterally. Minimal multilevel degenerative disease."

That was discovered last month. It didn't have a name when I filed. The AMVET rep just called it "foot numbness condition" and again, I don't know what it was awarded, if at all. I am now waiting on the MRI results, also.

So, what should I do now with the X-Rays and MRI results. I'm trying to reach that 50% threshold. I don't even have a DVA REp or anything. I don't even know how to acquire one. Any and all assistance is welcomed. Thanks, all!

For my children, my God sent husband and my Hadit family of veterans, I carry on.

God Bless A m e r i c a, Her Veterans and their Families!

From what little I know. I think wait and see is correct. Disturb the process now and it might take a lot longer. At least you will get the 40% and then can file for increase after that.

Good luck!