VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Had The C & P Yesterday

Rate this question

callover007

Question

I went for a C & P exam yesterday for stress/depression due to AO SC Lung cancer, DM11, nueropthy, back pain, sleep apena. The physc dotcor seemed great. Took about 2 hours and was very efficant and asked alot of questions. He was 74 years old, very alert, and really seemed to like Vets. He jokingly said I was in worse shape than him. I was expecting a hassle prior to seeing him but he was great. Anyway, he stated he was going to put me in for PTSD with P & T. He looked at my records and seen were I had purple heart from Viet Nam and asked me a couple of questions about stressors (was I shot at, did I see action, etc). He stated that with my medical conditions ang age of 59 nobody would hire me. Not being derogatory but being honest. He asked which would be better for me, P & T or IU. I told him I thought P & T would be better (?) than IU. I'm not sure but is P & T for PTSD 100%.?

Will recommend to rating board P & T. Does this mean auto 100% if board accepts his findings. He shook my hand twice, wish me luck and said he would recommend P & T for PTSD. Does this sound like a good chance.? Thanks

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

P&T means Permanent and Total and yes it is the 100% rate it also gives your family CHAMPUSVA heathcare and chapter 35 college benefits for kids, etc lot's of states have extra benefits for 100% P&T vets. you need to check out your state, but yes P&T is a good thing you can also be awarded 70%IU that pays at the 100% rate but if they don;t add the P&T then your family gets none of the benfits, Also it gives you the right to get a military ID to use base PX Commissary etx, just not the hospital but everything else back like when you were on duty.

Callover- it is very nice to know that this doctor gave you a thorough exam and treated you with respect-

As much as I gripe , the VA has some truly exceptional employees and doctors-I wish they outnumbered the incompetents but they don't.

I think this sounds very positive but was he a shrink? - a doctor who can state with rationale that your PTSD is IU or 100%? Or was he basing this on all of your SC disabilities? It all does sound very positive to me.

You can obtain a copy of the C & P by writing to the Records Access officer at the VAMC .

I suggest doing that so that you have the actual report before the VARO can attempt to manipulate the good stuff.

Callover- it is very nice to know that this doctor gave you a thorough exam and treated you with respect-

As much as I gripe , the VA has some truly exceptional employees and doctors-I wish they outnumbered the incompetents but they don't.

I think this sounds very positive but was he a shrink? - a doctor who can state with rationale that your PTSD is IU or 100%? Or was he basing this on all of your SC disabilities? It all does sound very positive to me.

You can obtain a copy of the C & P by writing to the Records Access officer at the VAMC .

I suggest doing that so that you have the actual report before the VARO can attempt to manipulate the good stuff.

Hi Berta

Civilian PHD hired by VA. Ex vet himself from Korea era. He was a doc of Phyc.

• HadIt.com Elder

Callover welcome to Hadit. I would suspect that you will get 100% either TDIU or PTSD. The old Docs that the VA uses are not always helpful so you got lucky. I am glad that you got a Doc who at least knows something about what you have gone through.

Even in good shape 74 is kind of old for a Doc. In your case this Doc was probably better than a late 20 something who does not have a clue.

You should get a copy of your C&P though.