Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Document Mixup

Rate this question

militarynurse

Question

While I was reviewing the copy of my C-File the VA sent me, I discovered that documents belonging to another veteran named "xxxx x. xxxxxxx" along with his Social Security Number xxx-xx-xxxx were mixed in with my documents. My documents and Mr. xxxxxxx's are both from the same regional office. I called the VA's 1-800 number and the counselor told me to send them back to the VA and not shred them.

Naturally, I am concerned that Mr. xxxxxxx's documents may have influenced the VA's actions/decisions on my claims. I am also concerned that the VA employees tasked with assisting to develop or rate my claims are not reviewing my C-file as thoroughly as they should in looking for evidence that supports my claims, otherwise they would have also found Mr. xxxxxxx's documents and removed them.

Everyone should get a copy of their C-file and review it to make sure it isn't contaminated with someone else's documents.

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

They now how to report the violation to Central Office as a Violation. It is a BIG deal at the VA.

"Don't give up. Don't ever give up." Jimmy V

They now how to report the violation to Central Office as a Violation. It is a BIG deal at the VA.

As well it should be a BIG deal. In this day and age of identity theft, none of us would want their personal information including SS# winding up in a stranger's hands. If the VA was reviewing my C-file as throughly as they constantly proclaim to be, they would have caught the other veteran's medical records in my C-file before a copy was sent out to me.

I have copies of my late hubby's extraction papers from RVN, with each guy's ID and numbers listed loud and clear on that day's extraction. I have seen this on a number of papers I found in the files when I started digging. 40 year old ssa#s...

I have also received other folks med records when VAMC sent us the surgical records from Seattle. I never thought twice about it....I have been so naive at times.

"Do one thing every day that scares you." Eleanor Roosevelt

• HadIt.com Elder

On orders I received I have the name and Social Security numbers of dozens of Veterans who had same orders as me.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

I have copies of my late hubby's extraction papers from RVN, with each guy's ID and numbers listed loud and clear on that day's extraction. I have seen this on a number of papers I found in the files when I started digging. 40 year old ssa#s...

I have also received other folks med records when VAMC sent us the surgical records from Seattle. I never thought twice about it....I have been so naive at times.

Holy smokes! It's an epidemic of possible Privact Act Violations. Just how widespread is this problem?

I had something a bit similar. My 2008 RO decision had a cover page of St. Petersburg Florida. Ok, except I use the Cleveland Regional office, and my paperwork was never "farmed out" to St. Petersburg, AND my decision was postmarked from Cleveland, but still had a St. Pete cover letter. Go figure..These people at the VA arent even sure which state they are in..Ohio or Florida.