Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Document Mixup

Rate this question

militarynurse

Question

While I was reviewing the copy of my C-File the VA sent me, I discovered that documents belonging to another veteran named "xxxx x. xxxxxxx" along with his Social Security Number xxx-xx-xxxx were mixed in with my documents. My documents and Mr. xxxxxxx's are both from the same regional office. I called the VA's 1-800 number and the counselor told me to send them back to the VA and not shred them.

Naturally, I am concerned that Mr. xxxxxxx's documents may have influenced the VA's actions/decisions on my claims. I am also concerned that the VA employees tasked with assisting to develop or rate my claims are not reviewing my C-file as thoroughly as they should in looking for evidence that supports my claims, otherwise they would have also found Mr. xxxxxxx's documents and removed them.

Everyone should get a copy of their C-file and review it to make sure it isn't contaminated with someone else's documents.

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I think had you just sent those records back to the VARO it would have made it very easy for this violation to disapear. Make a copy and send it to the D C head office. Let them do the investigation at this office at the BVA level. This is a commonality not an unusual occurance.

There are many people involved here with this violation, which ultimately affects more than one veteran. The person who viewed the file, the person who copied the file, etc. I too as Pete has documented, have many assignment changes, promotions, duty changes, etc with other vets names and complete ss# on them. Never shred any papers from the VA. Even if you have duplicates, we don't want to go dowm the same street as they do as you may have a document with a different date on it from them.

My problem with the VA copies of my C-file is there were so many blank pages as the person making the copies did not turn the papers over, or did not use an automatic machine that copied both sides. It took me over 6 times to retrieve them, and I question if I do indeed have them all as they only allowed me 45 minutes to look over my c-file when I made an appointment 3 weeks in advance. (Too bad they didn't care I drove 157 miles to view and copy these but they said there copier was broken...4 story building with one copier...DOUBT IT!!)

Never trust them, never help them get out of their jam, as they could care less about us vets. It is sad the errors and violations keep occurring. The VA really needs to clean house, theirs. They need to hire vets, qualified people who care about vets and not just a check or a bonus.

Military nurse I too like you know even on salary, us nurses did not stop till our work was done. We stayed hours if necessary to make sure our patients received the best quality care. Our priorities were our patients!!

We need to instill these values in those who assist and take care of us vets.

While I was reviewing the copy of my C-File the VA sent me, I discovered that documents belonging to another veteran named "xxxx x. xxxxxxx" along with his Social Security Number xxx-xx-xxxx were mixed in with my documents. My documents and Mr. xxxxxxx's are both from the same regional office. I called the VA's 1-800 number and the counselor told me to send them back to the VA and not shred them.

Naturally, I am concerned that Mr. xxxxxxx's documents may have influenced the VA's actions/decisions on my claims. I am also concerned that the VA employees tasked with assisting to develop or rate my claims are not reviewing my C-file as thoroughly as they should in looking for evidence that supports my claims, otherwise they would have also found Mr. xxxxxxx's documents and removed them.

Everyone should get a copy of their C-file and review it to make sure it isn't contaminated with someone else's documents.

• HadIt.com Elder

This as the fourth time this has has happened to a Hadit member. The last one, A member requested the C-file and he was sent I believe it was 17 pages of another Vets File.

When he went to give it back to them, he was treated like a Criminal and called me in a pure panic. I told him to hand it over to them and get the hell out of there.

If it has happened 4 times within the membership of Hadit, Using that percentage against all other claims, It happens A lot.

I guess that is another way of pouring gasoline on the fire that is often used in a Chinese fire drill.

Not only is it a Violation of the Privacy Act, It also violates the Hippa regs.

So if Joe Vet violates the acts he is hammered and sent to Jail when the system does it and nothing happens.

I hear the word Harmless error used alot.

J

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.