Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Who To Believe

Rate this question

Rockhound

Question

I had a neuropsychology exam/test June of 2008, the person giving the test is a Psychologist with a Phd. She opinioned that, rather than a regular personality disoder I was saddled with by a C&P examiner in 1973, that I had a post organic personality disordered as a result of the head injury while I was in the service, just shortly before my medical discharge.

Now she didn't say it was a diagnosis but when I went to see a neurologist for a TBI screening test, he took her opinion to mean that I was diagnosed by her as having a post traumatic organic personality disorder due to my remote head injury. He also listed the headaches I have been having as post traumatic headaches, mixed myogenic-vascular

My AMVET SO likes what she sees in these reports, but I feel I should try and get the psychologist to clarify her opinion or whether her opinion as a psychologist Phd. is the same as a diagnosis for a medical Dr.????

I want to make sure I cross every T and dot every I before I file this claim for a TBI that caused my so called personality and that the C&P Dr got it wrong to begin with.

I have other evidence that shows my medical and personal history prior to my head injuey, some of it, the most important aspect, I feel would have made a difference back then, were not considered back then and my Dr's agree, I had no signs or symptoms of a personality disorder prior to my head injury, and that the personality disorder only became noticeable afterwards.

Any thoughts and or opinions or sudjestions is greatly appreciated.

Rockhound Rider :D B)

Edited by Rockhound

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

"Personality Change Due to a General Medical Condition" is used, which is coded as 310.1. This is defined as "a persistent personality disturbance that is judged to be due to the direct physiological effects of a general medical condition.

OR

Adjustment disorder?????

This may be the Question. Adjustment disorder is in association with a trigger or stressor. If the trigger is chronic then the adjustment disorder is considered chronic. I have seen mumerous adjustment disorders due to chronic headaches service connected when the headaches were also service connected. The BVA site has many listed.

It may be a question of differential diagnosis. When there are two similar explanations the shrink may have some instruction from the DSM as to which one to apply.

If the shrink wants to stick with adjustment disorder I would have the shrink explain a chronic medical conditition that is causing the adjustment disorder to be chronic. It sounds to me like the medical condition would be the residuals of the TBI.

I know of several veterans who had PD diagnoses changed to anxiety disorders after a review of the SMR and a opinion that the PD was not valid and service connection was awarded for the anxiety disorder. In these cases there were significant symptoms noted in the SMR. I have to wonder if there would not be an anxiety disorder due to a severe stressor such as a TBI.

"Personality Change Due to a General Medical Condition" is used, which is coded as 310.1. This is defined as "a persistent personality disturbance that is judged to be due to the direct physiological effects of a general medical condition.

Actually I believe that I can also the code (310.9) Organic Mental Disorder, other (including Personality change due to a general medical condition)

OR

Adjustment disorder?????

This may be the Question. Adjustment disorder is in association with a trigger or stressor. If the trigger is chronic then the adjustment disorder is considered chronic. I have seen mumerous adjustment disorders due to chronic headaches service connected when the headaches were also service connected. The BVA site has many listed.

I was thinking of using the Adjustment Disorder with anxiety and mood disorder as residuals, with the trigger being the Acute Schizophrenic Episode I hope to get reinstated and SC after I show that the personality disorder diagnosis was made in error or unsupported after I show it to be the personality disorder due to Brain injury (Organic personality disorder)

It may be a question of differential diagnosis. When there are two similar explanations the shrink may have some instruction from the DSM as to which one to apply.

If the shrink wants to stick with adjustment disorder I would have the shrink explain a chronic medical conditition that is causing the adjustment disorder to be chronic. It sounds to me like the medical condition would be the residuals of the TBI.

I will indever to get my shrink to do what you have said.

I know of several veterans who had PD diagnoses changed to anxiety disorders after a review of the SMR and a opinion that the PD was not valid and service connection was awarded for the anxiety disorder. In these cases there were significant symptoms noted in the SMR. I have to wonder if there would not be an anxiety disorder due to a severe stressor such as a TBI.

If I can seperate the Axiety Disorder and combine the Mood disorder with my Chronic Depression, Dystemic Disorder and also use the Acute Schizophrenic Episode, since these problems were discussed and documented in my Medical board summery.

I have a lot on my plate and I need to figure out the proper wording in my letter of support getting the personality disorder was in error and should have been the Organic Mental Disorder, other, Due to the TBI or cerebral concussion with Frontal Lobe pathology.

Rockhound Rider :)

• HadIt.com Elder

Thank you Hoppy!

OR

Adjustment disorder?????

I had a neuropsychology exam/test June of 2008, the person giving the test is a Psychologist with a Phd. She opinioned that, rather than a regular personality disoder I was saddled with by a C&P examiner in 1973, that I had a post organic personality disordered as a result of the head injury while I was in the service, just shortly before my medical discharge.

Now she didn't say it was a diagnosis but when I went to see a neurologist for a TBI screening test, he took her opinion to mean that I was diagnosed by her as having a post traumatic organic personality disorder due to my remote head injury. He also listed the headaches I have been having as post traumatic headaches, mixed myogenic-vascular

My AMVET SO likes what she sees in these reports, but I feel I should try and get the psychologist to clarify her opinion or whether her opinion as a psychologist Phd. is the same as a diagnosis for a medical Dr.????

I want to make sure I cross every T and dot every I before I file this claim for a TBI that caused my so called personality and that the C&P Dr got it wrong to begin with.

I have other evidence that shows my medical and personal history prior to my head injuey, some of it, the most important aspect, I feel would have made a difference back then, were not considered back then and my Dr's agree, I had no signs or symptoms of a personality disorder prior to my head injury, and that the personality disorder only became noticeable afterwards.

Any thoughts and or opinions or sudjestions is greatly appreciated.

Rockhound Rider :) :)

maybe they thoguht you weer trying for ptsd. they seeme to want to give out any diags otehr than ptsd.