Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Who To Believe

Rate this question

Rockhound

Question

I had a neuropsychology exam/test June of 2008, the person giving the test is a Psychologist with a Phd. She opinioned that, rather than a regular personality disoder I was saddled with by a C&P examiner in 1973, that I had a post organic personality disordered as a result of the head injury while I was in the service, just shortly before my medical discharge.

Now she didn't say it was a diagnosis but when I went to see a neurologist for a TBI screening test, he took her opinion to mean that I was diagnosed by her as having a post traumatic organic personality disorder due to my remote head injury. He also listed the headaches I have been having as post traumatic headaches, mixed myogenic-vascular

My AMVET SO likes what she sees in these reports, but I feel I should try and get the psychologist to clarify her opinion or whether her opinion as a psychologist Phd. is the same as a diagnosis for a medical Dr.????

I want to make sure I cross every T and dot every I before I file this claim for a TBI that caused my so called personality and that the C&P Dr got it wrong to begin with.

I have other evidence that shows my medical and personal history prior to my head injuey, some of it, the most important aspect, I feel would have made a difference back then, were not considered back then and my Dr's agree, I had no signs or symptoms of a personality disorder prior to my head injury, and that the personality disorder only became noticeable afterwards.

Any thoughts and or opinions or sudjestions is greatly appreciated.

Rockhound Rider :D B)

Edited by Rockhound

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Wings: Update on my Multi Axial Assessment.

Diagnosis should be as follows:

"Should be" is wishful thinking. As a layman, you can not diagnose yourself. If you are formatting this as evidence, to submit to the VARO, I suggest adding only what has been formally diagnosed, and leave off the rest as medical speculation. Use the Diagnostic Codes.

IMO, use the Multi-Axial format for those disabilities you have already filed VA Claims for, as servive-connected. IMO, list first, the medical disabilities that may be service-connected, or secondarily service-connected to the Axis 1 chief complaint(s); then list all other medical conditions. ~Wings

Axis I

1) Organic Personality Disorder (post head trauma, active duty injury), Diagnostic Code (DC) ___.

2. Acute schizophrenic episode (active duty diagnosis), DC ___.

2) Major Depressive Disorder, Recurrent, DC ___.

3) Dysthymic Disorder, DC ___.

4) Adjustment Disorder with Depression and Anxiety, DC ___.

Axis II

No diagnosis

Axis III

Cerebral Concussion, active-duty injury, 1973

Chronic Sinusitis, DC ___

Sleep Apnea, mild, DC ___.

Post Traumatic Headaches, Mixed Myogenic - Vascular, DC ___.

Didn't you break your nose in a fall, active-duty? Deviated septum?

Axis IV

Limited finances. Impaired mobility. Social isolation.

Axis V

GAF 50

Rockhound, I have edited below to better help me understand what you are saying. If I've made mistakes, please let me know.

I want to service-connect my Axis I diagnoses by providing medical evidence to show current "Residuals" of the in-service Acute Schizophrenic Episode; and argue, that the post-service diagnosis of personality disorder was a harmful error.

I also want to service-connect current "Residuals" of an in-service Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI), and provide evidence to show Post-Traumatic organic personality disorder (as it is now diagnosed) was the proper medical diagnosis, and not personality disorder.

EVIDENCE

One Psychiatrist states the MMPI (circa 1973) and current MMPI both show no personality disorder. The psychiatrist compaired the old diagnostic manual of mental disorders --to the current DSM IV, and found nothing to indicate any type of personality disorder.

Recent Neuro-psychological Examination also indicated that there was (then, as now) no personality disorder; and if there was any type of personality disorder, then it was in fact am post-traumatic organic personality disorder (brain injury due to my in-service TBI). The neuropsychological exam also showed mild to moderate cognitive dysfunction in all areas, except significant executive dysfunction.

It appeared to be a good day for supporting evidence for my TBI and Psychiatric Claims.

Any further comments or sudgestions are greatly appreciated since I am having difficulty deciding how to present this claim since both the TBI and the psychiactric problems are inexerably intwined together, it appears.

Rockhound Rider

That looks really good to me.

The only thing you may want to consider is where you list TBI.

At the time you were injured there was really nothing diagnoised as TBI

at that time, as mine was not.

VA is now distinguishing these injuries as:

TBI = Traumatic Brain Injury

(usually fairly severe diagnosis injury with residuals effects)

MTBI = Mild Traumatic Brain Injury

(usually in most concussion diagnosis that have residual effects)

I have been researching this alot over the past 5 or 6 months.

Just food for thought.

carlie

Wings: I only plan to try and SC the Axis I diagnosises and possibly us the Axis II to highlight that the personality disorder I was labled with 30+ yrs. ago is no longer a viable diagnosis, since none of my Dr's, psychologist, and psychiatrists will support and have in fact refuted it.

Most of the Axis III diagnosis and/or problems are not in consideration for SC. In fact only the chronic Sinisitis and the minor Cerebral Concussion in 1973 will be used along with the Post Traumatic Headaches, Mixed Myogenic - Vascular.

However the Chronic Sinisitis is at the Rating stage as we speak along with chronic rhynitis and two scars, claimed under painfull scars, as a result of my SC Fractured Nasal Bone and Deviated Septum, with 50% obstruction in both nasal pasages as a result of trauma.

You can say their are five conditions for which I plan to try and SC in my next claim once my current one is decided, hopefully approved or if I have to appeal the decision then my next claim will have to wait, which is sort of OK, so I can possibly aquire more evidence and better perfect the claim.

"Rockhound, I have edited below to better help me understand what you are saying. If I've made mistakes, please let me know."

Wings: You did a good job of restating my facts/ I'll probably use this format you presented with only a few additions to better identify the causal reasons for the different diagnosis and the evidence that supports them.

Rockhound Rider ;)

Edited by Rockhound

• HadIt.com Elder

x

x

x

The Board is acting up here: I am unable to see the new posts, not until I click on "options" and click the print page; otherwise, all I see is rental's last post. I copied the printed version and will read it.

This is a test post of sorts, to see if it will post to the board. ~Wings

• HadIt.com Elder

[quote name=Rockhound' date='Apr 16 2009, 02:34 PM' post='140662]

I only plan to try and SC the Axis I diagnoses.

Have you filed a VA Claim for the Axis I diagnoses (plural)?

I may use the DSM IV, Axis II format to argue that the improper personality disorder diagnosis that I was labled with 30+ yrs. ago is not (now, nor then) an accurate diagnosis, since none of my Dr's, psychologists or psychiatrists have in fact refuted the personality diagnosis.

Cite your evidence extensively. You must depend on the medical documentation by the "professionals".

Most of the Axis III diagnosis and/or problems are not in consideration for SC. In fact only the chronic Sinisitis and the minor Cerebral Concussion in 1973 will be used along with the Post Traumatic Headaches, Mixed Myogenic - Vascular.

However the Chronic Sinisitis is at the Rating stage as we speak, along with chronic rhynitis and two scars, claimed under painfull scars, as a result of my SC Fractured Nasal Bone and Deviated Septum, with 50% obstruction in both nasal pasages as a result of trauma.

Remember to list these SC disabilities under Axis III. You may want to consider filing a VA Claim for sleep apnnea --secondary to the nasal obstruction. Once again, a good IMO would be the order of the day.

You can say there are five conditions for which I plan to try and SC in my next claim once my current one is decided; hopefully approved. Or, if I have to appeal the decision then my next claim will have to wait, which is sort of OK, so I can possibly aquire more evidence and better perfect the claim.

You are an eternal optomist; you make me believe in you ;-) ~Wings

Wings: You did a good job of restating my facts/ I'll probably use this format you presented with only a few additions to better identify the causal reasons for the different diagnosis and the evidence that supports them.

Rockhound Rider