Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Has Anyone Been Approved Of Sleep Apnea Claim Lately?

Rate this question

bob_abad

Question

Hi gang,

Prepping up for upcoming OSA claim(on-deck). Would like to hear from anyone who has been approved, and not incurred while active in service. Got mine after 3+ decades after service discharge. Gained weight, DM-II, Diabetic Nephropathy, HTN, Tinnitus, etc..

Hear from you soon. Thanks in advane!

From Bob,

4th Inf. Div; Central Highland Campaign

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

IMO linking PTDS and Sleep Apena

David Anaise took about two weeks and ($1,500) reviewing my Medical records and gave gave me a 53 page IMO connecting Sleep Apnea to my PTSD.!

Received report 02-17-2020 sent by email to VA and on 03-04-2020 VA granted me with 50% SC by Aggravated cause!

Total time from Filing on the web on Dec 7, 2019 to March 4, 2020 going from 60% to 80% disability rating!!!!

I highly recommend using Dr. Anaise

If it wasn't incurred, as you say, while on active service....why should it be approved for a claim?

OSA can develop as a secondary outcome of service-connected conditions such as hypothyroidism. It can also develop as a result of long-term use of steroids to treat service connected conditions, such as hypothyroidism, hypoadrenalism, etc.

Weight gain that is caused by medications taken for service connected conditions can also cause or aggravate OSA.

That's why it could be connected even if there is no mention of diagnosis or treatment for OSA in military medical records.

Let's also remember that OSA was not commonly known about in the 60's and 70's when many of our Vietnam vets were active duty. I know I never heard of it until the 1980's.

You will have to get a nexus letter or an IMO for a medical doctor connecting it to your service connected condition.

"Don't give up. Don't ever give up." Jimmy V

If it wasn't incurred, as you say, while on active service....why should it be approved for a claim?

It has a strong association with Obese(weight gained), DM-II, Diabetic Nephropathy, and Hypertension...Just need to acquire a strong IMO from a sleep doctor who is cooperative for a fee, if neccessary. My neck circumference has also widen to 19 inches. I am only 5'7" tall; weight is 230 lbs.

It will be a challenging battle but worth giving it a shot onward..

From Bob,

4th Inf. Div; Central Highland Campaign