Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Temporary 100%

Rate this question

Fletch

Question

I was told by the VA to not submit for temporary 100% until after surgery. I just did that a week ago. The question I have is how long do I get temporary 100% with a disc removal at the L4,L5 level and how long does it take to start receiving it? Another issue with this is that my back condition has not been linked as SC'd yet. That was submitted too last week. I have sacroiliac dysfunction and this caused my left leg to shorten by 1 and 1/4 inches. This is SC'd at 30%. (Which i feel is low) this condition caused my disc to rupture and it needed removed and the 2 vertebra above and below were reshaped to allow the nerves to pass unpinched. The surgery doesen't seem to be 100% succesful. I still have radiating pain down both legs and numbness in both feet along with spasms in the legs not to mention a burning sensation in my lower back during certian movements.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I submitted my claim about 2 weeks before my ankle surgery on April 9 2009, My wife was called by the VA while I was on the table in little rock, they wanted to know why my surgery did not show up on the their comp, that I was having in Fayettevile ar, She told them because he is in little rock getting it done LOL. I guess they are a little slow with paper work getting on the comp. I was sent the paper work for move evidence and the 30 day weight time on the 11 of April and submitted it to them on the 12, that is whatI know, I will let you know when find out, but I think it might matter what state you are in some are slower then others. If your back is not service connected it might take longer. I submitted my back 3 years ago, it was service connected for L3,L4,L5 the first time but low balled, claim is going through now C&P Doc gave you report on it this time. Hope your claim goes quick.

Ken

Your claim for service connection for your back condition has to be worked first. If service connection is granted you will receive the temporary 100 percent along with that claim.

Yes-possibly- after the surgery-

Sharon is right- unless your back condition is noted in your SMRs you have to establish a proven nexus to your service for the back problem.

It would not hurt to file for the Temp Comp after the surgery but still the VA has to adjudicate the main SC claim for it to be decided.

DId you get a VCAA letter and were you able to send VA exactly what info they asked for?

Ya,,I sent the VA everything they asked for in their letter. My surgeon added, on his own, that the cause of the disc herniation was caused by my SC'd sacroiliac dysfunction and lower left extremity shortness. Basically what happened was that the lift the VA gave me to wear in my shoe wore out and the department that makes them was closed down and they would notify me when they could make one. The notification never came and my private insurance wouldn't cover a pre-existing condition and I couldn't afford to replace it. This caused me to walk and stand crooked for several years throwing my back out of whack. My hips sat crooked for so long that it forced my spine to put more pressure on 1 side allowing the disc to rupture. The 2 vertebra above and below it had to be reshaped to allow the nerves to pass. My surgeon also said that I would have to be fused at a later date. *sigh*

I see it as that there is a no way they wont link it. (Optimist)

I've been out of work for a month now. I'll probably be able to go back next week. I missed a week of work prior to the surgery because of pain and pinching.

My issue is 1.)how long does it take to process this? 2.)How long do I get temporary 100%?

The problem is that if I don't work, I don't get paid. I've been borrowing money from relatives in order to make ends meet. This really sux.