Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Widow's Ss

Rate this question

Guest Morgan

Question

Can anyone tell me if a widow collects the full amount of her husband's social security? Seems I heard years ago that a widow would collect her own or half of her deceased husband's, whichever is higher.

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Question

How much will a widow receive?

Answer

The amount you will get is a percentage of the deceased's basic Social Security benefit. The percentage depends on your age and the type of benefit you are eligible for. A widow or widower, full retirement age or older, will receive 100 percent deceased's basic Social Security benefit.

A widow or widower can receive full benefits at age 65 or older (if born before January 2, 1940) or reduced benefits as early as age 60. The age for receiving full benefits is increasing for widows and widowers born after 1939 until it reaches age 67 for people born in 1962 and later.

For more information on widow(er)s benefits, see http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10084.html

Guest Namvet6567

A disabled widow/widower can collect at age 50. She should get the same rate her late spouse was receiving. This is not in addition to what she is receiving but rather it brings her up to the rate he was receiving.

• HadIt.com Elder
A disabled widow/widower can collect at age 50. She should get the same rate her late spouse was receiving. This is not in addition to what she is receiving but rather it brings her up to the rate he was receiving.

Thanks for correcting my poor memory. I did not know it was 50 but I agree with the rest. I know that SS does apply an earnings test so if you are retired and get a pension it works or insurance but if the spouse has to work not so good.

• HadIt.com Elder

the ago of 50 is for disabled widows a widow can draw on her husbands acct at age 60 if he passes away we have checked I am 50 my wife is 53, she can;t work because of taking care of me, so we have been lining the ducks up, SSA told her she woulkd get 75% of my current amount of waht we are drawing when I die. She would draw at my disabled rate rather than drop back to regular SSA

the ago of 50 is for disabled widows a widow can draw on her husbands acct at age 60 if he passes away we have checked I am 50 my wife is 53, she can;t work because of taking care of me, so we have been lining the ducks up, SSA told her she woulkd get 75% of my current amount of waht we are drawing when I die. She would draw at my disabled rate rather than drop back to regular SSA

Which is more, disabled rate or SSA regular rate?