Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Do You Still Have An Exam If The Va Does Not Service-connect Your Claim?

Rate this question

pilgrim01

Question

What I mean is if you file a claim, does the VA determine if it is service-connected before you have an exam or after? It seems that it would be a waste of money on the VA's part if they send everyone for an exam and the illness is not service-connected. What do you all think? Thanks!

• Answers 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Well, for the VA to determine if you have a valid claim, then they will have to determine if you have a current disability, and to do so they will have to have you "seen" medically (a C&P). Otherwise, they would just have to take every claimant's claim at "face value". And, for them to determine if a disability is service connected, they will also have to have a medical determination.

So, most likely, you WILL have a C&P prior to any decisions vis a vis your claim.

Unless, of course, you are already providing the VA overwhelming medical evidence to support your claim, evidence that they have very unlikely chances of overriding with one of their own.

Well,

I am providing them with overwhelming evidence, I think. I had a numbness/tingling condition down my right leg going to my foot. While in-service the doctor concentrated on my foot and checking me for diabetes. No diabetes, but he put me on Neurontin. This started in July of 2006. Well, I retired Nov 2008. I put in a claim for the numbness/tingling and it was denied. In February 2009 (while waiting on my rating), the numbnes/tingling came back again (it's an off and on thing). I went to my new doctor since being retired. The first thing she said was "let's check your lower back". Voila! I have protrusions, nerve damage, etc. All of which is causing the numbnes/tingling in my right leg. She put me on Celebrex and Neurontin, sent me to Physical Therapy and Pain Management. So, I submitted a Reconsideration for new evidence two weeks ago with my AMVET Rep. My new doctor even wrote a letter to the VA stating that "my current condition is consistent with the numbness/tingling I was having in my right leg going to my right foot since July 2006. I hope my doctor's letter carries some weight.

Pilgrim

Some years ago you could not get an exam unless you were already service connected. Many people felt that put an undue burden on the disabled Vet..he was disabled and could not afford a doctor to prove he was disabled. It was catch 22.

So, it was changed for the better so that it is up to the government to provide this exam.

Insurance companies, and the military, do the same thing. If you buy a life insurance policy, and if the life insurance company decides that an exam is necessary, then THEY pay for the exam and they choose the doctor.

Ditto for entrance into the military. You dont pay a doctor for an exam to get into the military, it is provided for you by the military. It could lead to a conflict of interest. In other words, someone could find a doctor who would sign a statement saying you are fit for military duty, when the military may not see it that way.

However, now there is a conflict of interest the other way. You see, a former Secretary of Veterans Affairs, also owned controlling interest in QTC, a company that did C&P exams for Veterans.

The bottom line is, when you are signing someones paycheck, you have some rights to tell them what to do. Your boss tells you what to do, and you better do it, or you may well not get paid.

So, when the Secretary owns the company who does the Veterans C and P exam, there is an inherit conflict of interest.

• HadIt.com Elder

Pilgrim, I have always had service connection and medical evidence out the whazoo. I have always had a C&P before they did anything. If they don't give one, that's a bad sign most times.

Thanks, all. I'll try contacting them. Man, I really can understand when I ask some veterans if they have filed for disability and they say "I don't feel like going through all that". Sometimes I really do feel like that, but then I think of the possibility of receiving a pension for the remainder of my life for serving my country, honorably for over 20 years...... :D

Pilgrim

Some years ago you could not get an exam unless you were already service connected.

bronco,

I do not feel this statement is at all true.

jmho,

carlie

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.