VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Auto Grant/adaptive Equipment

Rate this question

Ricky

Question

Does anyone know much about this? My question is that we bought a new vehicle which went smooth (I think).

However, since I have loss of use of a hand and foot I am authorized some adaptive equipment. Already approved is AC/PS/PB/AT. Was the dealer supposed to take off the costs of these items?

I am also attempting to get approved a few more things such as power seat, power windows (can't roll them babies down with one hand) etc using VA Form 10-1394. So can I just include those already approved along with the ones I want approved and have the VA reimburse me?

Thanks

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Did you already apply for VA auto allowance? You should get a one time payment of up to $11000(not sure of current rate). You only get the car allowance one time from the VA. However, they (VA) will pay for in future to transfer,repair, or replace adaptive equipment from old auto to new when you buy another. Contact the VARO or VAMC in your area as usually the VA has a coordinator who handles/assist you with this.

You should have a prescription from your driver rehab for all needed special adaptive equipment according to your needs. The VAMC prosthetic department will reimburse you for the special and standard adaptive equipment. Don't forget the cell phone allowance see VHA 1173.4 attached. Always keep a 1394 form on your hard drive as you need it with every car you get and every repair you request.

Most of the car manufacturers have a program that will reimburse you for adaptive equipment like Ford at http://www.fordmobilitymotoring.com/. I know Honda & GM also have similar deals. Most dealers also have a $500 military rebate.

1173.4adaptive.pdf

VA_10_1394_Blank.pdf

I forgot to add another often over looked allowance, if you have power equipment, then you are entitled to an auxiliary battery.

I forgot to add another often over looked allowance, if you have power equipment, then you are entitled to an auxiliary battery.

This only applies if you have a ramp or lift van, and then only when approved by the drivers training represenative at the va hospital. In fact with the execption of the basic things, ie: +power stering , power brakes etc, most other items must be approved by the va drivers training personnal and a prescription must be entered into the medical records as to what a veteran really needs.. for example just because you use a wheelchair does not entitle you to replacement cost for ramps or lifts or raised roofs or lower floors, you must still have a prescription before you can be reinbursed....