Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Non-combat Related Ptsd Claims

Rate this question

militarynurse

Question

When I went to the QTC Shrink the other day, I knew that I should not bring up non-military related stressors. I thought that it would be a waste of time, and from these posts, I'm not sure I did the right thing. Some people think it is funny when I tell them that I was torchered by my own government! I will not go into details because it is a long hard story. If people think the terrorist at Gitmo was torchered, that was only college stuff. Regardless the Shrink was not interested in anything but military stressors.

Papa

• HadIt.com Elder

You are not going to get very far unless you can show VA a verifiable stressor.

You are not going to get very far unless you can show VA a verifiable stressor.

i was in a car accident its in my smr's 2 times. i was riding in passenger seat coming off base...it happen in 1995.. i never seen a phy about it till now .. i been dx with non combat ptsd by the va theripist but that was something else and i get therapy and meds from va for it.. my question is this.. since i know my ptsd started from the car accident as i told my private therpist that i was embarred about getting treatment for it will in service but since something else happen about 5 years ago it was easier to see the theripist about my recent accident so i just talked about my symptoms and got my meds . i would just talk about my recent accident during my va therapy ... i have a service stressor and a current diagnose of non combat ptsd...so i know i got get a nexus letter connecting the two. and how my car acciednt started my ptsd and my recent acciedent aggravated it but my car acciednt is the mojoiry and the main source of my ptsd... and suggestions???????

madman12, newby

I have been working my claim for two incidents that occured in active military service.

the first one occurred in 1983, a 330kw ship/shore power cable blew up in my face as i was stowing it away for sea. resulting in a near fatal electrocution, flash burns to the face, eyes, and upper exposed arms, and nuerological blindness lasting 27 hours. the second was in 1991, from an attempted murder assualt while onboard a navy ship, ie attacked from behind by an unknown assailant. required 8 stitches to close up the injury and resulted affects were concussion and post concussion symptoms. I was an 18 year veteran, and as a result of these injuries I lost my career, retiremaent and everything else I held dear to me. filed my initial claim in 1992. Was told by va that since my injuries were not caused by or related to combat that I was not eligible for compensation or benefits from the va. reopened my claim in 2007, after diagnoses of severe, chronic ptsd from the va outpatient clinic in san antonio. Am still waiting after almost two years to get to a dro board. evidence of these stressors are in my smr's and personell records which show a clear and undeniable chains of events leading up to honorable discharge from the united states navy, I only wish that I would have been in a better mental condition in 1992 to have pursued the claim.....

• HadIt.com Elder

You need to find official info on the car accident. Newspaper reports and better accident reports or anything official in Military records including treatment for injuries. The more stuff you can show the better.

A car accident is a stressor recognized to cause PTSD.

Good Luck

You need to find official info on the car accident. Newspaper reports and better accident reports or anything official in Military records including treatment for injuries. The more stuff you can show the better.

A car accident is a stressor recognized to cause PTSD.

Good Luck

the only thing i have is the 2 timesthat it shows up in my smr's that show the treatment for car accident .. show i know i have the smr with me getting treatment twice for my car acciednent ... and i have the dx of a curent non combat ptsd from a recent 5 year ago accidnet .. so is a long shot? i know i have to connect the two as the va will not... i have in service stressor current diagnoses of non combat ptsd ..is a long shot by saying my ptsd started in service but i never talked about it till my last acciednt ..