VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Supraventricular Tachycardia (heart Arrhythmia)

Rate this question

12R3G

Question

I originally posted this in the C&P forum; for some reason, as soon as I logged in this entire category (General VA Claims...) disappeared. Anyway, I think this is the most appropriate venue, so I have reposted it here.

90% SC overall (94% to be precise).

The good news: heart arrhythmia is SC. SMR state symptoms "consistent with SVT". Two C&P exams verify heart arrhythmia as does SMR documenting several episodes that I acutually went to the doctor for over a 3+ year period, as well as statements to docs at time describing the ones I didn't go to the doctor for. Generally, 6 or more episodes per year of heart arryhthmia.

Bad news: never captured on ECG (typical for SVT), holter monitor or event monitor. the events were too sporadic for a 24 hour monitor and I was never offered a long term (30+) event monitor. I've had all the stress tests (stress, thallium stress, stress echocardiagram) which were negative which only proves that my SVT is not triggered by exercise/exertion (again, not unusual). Instead, I was diagnosed--by AF doctors--with SVT and placed on beta blocker which is one of the standard treatment options.

CFR 38 rating schedule: 7010 Supraventricular arrhythmias: Paroxysmal [just means episodic vs continuous] atrial fibrillation or other supraventricular tachycardia, with more than four episodes per year documented by ECG or Holter monitor: 30%

According to the Mayo Clinic, SVT is a broad term that includes many forms of arrhythmia originating above the ventricles (supraventricular). SVTs usually cause a burst of rapid heartbeats (160 - 200 bpm) that begin and end suddenly and can last from seconds to hours.

The VA, while granting SC, claims that I have some non-rateable heart arrythmia that isn't SVT--despite the classic symptoms leading to the clinical diagnosis and treatment. I sumitted a reconsideration and was denied, still at 0%. With 6-8 episodes per year prior to going on the beta blocker (and almost none since) I should be at 30%.

So now what? IME from my primary physician (internal medicine)? Visit to a cardiologist for an IME? Obviously the VA is hanging its decision on the fact that this isn't "documented by ECG or Holter monitor" but I'm not taking a beta blocker cause I like pills--I have enough to take already! The Catch 22 is that beta blocker is doing its job by preventing the SVT.

Any suggestions? Thanks...

12R3G

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

My friend, you need to ask for and wear an event monitor for at least 30 days. It has a button and records for a small period of time when you press it.

It comes with an 1-800 number to call the event in, It is all sound controlled and pretty cool.

This will catch your SVT events.

I hate to hear you have that. Mine is a result of Pulmonary HTN.

J