Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Chronic Pain Disorder/chronic Pain

Rate this question

applejack

Question

• HadIt.com Elder
Im confused & trying to get a claim for Chronic Pain Syndrome set up for the VARO.

Am I to understand that pain with motion, can not be the cause or contribute to Chronic Pain Syndrome? If this is the case I doubt i'll get much of an award. My pain is chronic without moving, but made far worse when I do. So they wouldn't consider this than?

And, I repeat what I have already said:

"The Chronic Pain Syndrome can be caused by anything that can cause "chronic" pain, be it muscles, joints, migraines, cancer, etc."

The "painful motion" situations as previously described on a couple of posts here, refer to the amount of disability due to the restrictions placed upon a joint due to the experience of "pain" (you can't move 'cause it hurts). The "Chronic Pain Syndrome" as we are talking about, has to do with how your psyche reacts to being in constant (chronic) pain, and is a psychological disease entity and not a physical disease entity (it's how pain affects your behavior overall, not how a certain joint is painful to move thereby causing restriction of movement to that particular joint).

And, yes, pain with motion can be the cause of Chronic Pain Syndrome, just not the ONLY cause.

Does this help the understanding of Chronic Pain Syndrome?

And, I repeat what I have already said:

"The Chronic Pain Syndrome can be caused by anything that can cause "chronic" pain, be it muscles, joints, migraines, cancer, etc."

The "painful motion" situations as previously described on a couple of posts here, refer to the amount of disability due to the restrictions placed upon a joint due to the experience of "pain" (you can't move 'cause it hurts). The "Chronic Pain Syndrome" as we are talking about, has to do with how your psyche reacts to being in constant (chronic) pain, and is a psychological disease entity and not a physical disease entity (it's how pain affects your behavior overall, not how a certain joint is painful to move thereby causing restriction of movement to that particular joint).

And, yes, pain with motion can be the cause of Chronic Pain Syndrome, just not the ONLY cause.

Does this help the understanding of Chronic Pain Syndrome?

9422 Pain disorder i dont know if it right it the only code i see

• HadIt.com Elder
9422 Pain disorder i dont know if it right it the only code i see

Yup, that's it. Thank you.

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks Larryj & C&P man.

That helped me understand. I get a mental block sometimes and nothing gets through.

Thanks Larryj & C&P man.

That helped me understand. I get a mental block sometimes and nothing gets through.

not a prb allen..i loe helping bc i have recieved alot of help on here allready

Hi everyone. I read through this discussion thread and found some good information for my case. I understand that Chronic Pain Syndrome is a mental rating, however I don't understand how the VA factors in post-surgical nerve pain, which in my case is constant, unrelenting and not controlled with medication. I woke up from a double laminectomy back in June 2008, and the first thing I felt was a painful sensation coming from my left hand, which was resting on the cold metal of the side of the gurney in the recovery room. The first words out of my mouth were, "what happened to my left hand." My surgeon told me that the nerves feeding my left arm had snapped once the laminae were removed, because they had been so restricted for so long (at C4-6 I have two rods and four screws). As I came to more I noticed it was painful on my forearm and top of my hand from hyper sensation and painful on my palm from numbness. The doctor thought it would heal, but it's now been 19 months post-surgery and it's gotten more painful, not less.

I brought this to the attention of my QTC medical examiner, but he seemed to forgot anything I said, because he barely addressed anything more than minor pain on movement, and gave me 20% for L. arm pain, and 20% for neck (soon to be reduced to 10%, because in the words of the QTC doctor, "I have full range of motion in my neck with only some pain on movement.) He didn't take any measurements, and concluded I had +45 degrees on all motions.

What he didn't say is that I live with pretter intense pain in my left arm and hand, along my shoulders and down my neck and back where the scar is from the surgery. I guess I'm going to have to address this in my NOD and I'm looking into getting an IMO as well, because I think the examiner blew it!

TCK