Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Unemployable

Rate this question

jan

Question

C&P rater stated that I was essentially unemployable. Why did the VA not give me

IU? Do I have to still apply and show them on the C&P where the rater stated this?

• Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Did the examiner explain why you're "ESSENTIALLY UNEMPLOYABLE?" I mean were all your symptoms expained in a way for him/her to come up to that opinion? I'm surprised that the VA's own examiner would say "essentially unemployable." It's either you are or you're not. Sounds like the examiner was afraid to give a definitive answer. I hate it when examiners do this. Statements like this just leave an open door for the VA to mess with you.

The VA can easily come back and say, "the examiner stated the Vet is essentially unemployable." This in itself does not indicated 100% unemployable so Total Unemployability cannot be granted at this time. I can just see the VA saying this to deny but keep your head up because they might fool us all and grant you.

Jay

C&P rater stated that I was essentially unemployable. Why did the VA not give me

IU? Do I have to still apply and show them on the C&P where the rater stated this?

• HadIt.com Elder

Essentially unemployable means that the c&p examiner did not want to use the correct phrasing which he surely knew, the jerk. I may have said this before but I had a C&P doctor say he could not determine if I was IU because I was unemployed.

How it has been explained to me is that the C P Exaimer will give his medical opinion but it is the rater that will make the decision on what is to be granted to the Vet. He will look at the C & P results as part of the total package you have submitted in your request for IU.

You still have time to submit more medical support documentation. Maybe get an medical opinion from a private doctor. Research your C-file for more medical documentation. etc.

If you are denied on your IU request you might contact a VA approved Lawyer to look at your case. If he/she feels you have a case then they should take it from there for you. It will only cost you a % of your back pay... Well worth it if you win... IMHO

Good luck

"C&P rater stated that I was essentially unemployable. Why did the VA not give me

IU?"

Maybe the rater did not state that your unemployability was directly due to to your service connected conditions.

My C & P examiner said: " his posttraumatic stress disorder with secondary depression,

arrxiety, and alcohol dependence is considered sufficienl grounds for his

unemployability."

I also have received Social Security Disability for the past several years (been reviewed by them twice with no change).

Is this language and situation sufficient to get to an unemployability status?

(no longer drinking btw)

My C & P examiner said: " his posttraumatic stress disorder with secondary depression,

arrxiety, and alcohol dependence is considered sufficienl grounds for his

unemployability."

I also have received Social Security Disability for the past several years (been reviewed by them twice with no change).

Is this language and situation sufficient to get to an unemployability status?

(no longer drinking btw)

Congrats on not drinking anymore-that in itself is a Victory-

To answer your question-

Yes- in spite of "0" rating so far, this statement should generate a TDIU award IF your service nexus is proven and established -meaning that an inservice stressor caused the PTSD.

If you have the CAR or a PH on your DD 214 the VA should accept that as proof of stressor.

Otherwise JSRRC will need details of the stressor in order to confirm it.

A doctor can certainly diagnose PTSD and opine on its level being so severe to preclude employment, but only if the doctor was eye witness themselves to the stressor, you will still need to prove your PTSD is caused by an inservice event.

I assume you received a VCAA letter that tells you what specific evidence the VA needs.

It is best to give as many details as possible -time, dates, witnesses, etc to them.

Also if a vet has multiple stressors it is also best to list the ones most likely to be able to be confirmed first by JSRRC.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Congrats on not drinking anymore-that in itself is a Victory-

To answer your question-

Yes- in spite of "0" rating so far, this statement should generate a TDIU award IF your service nexus is proven and established -meaning that an inservice stressor caused the PTSD.

If you have the CAR or a PH on your DD 214 the VA should accept that as proof of stressor.

Otherwise JSRRC will need details of the stressor in order to confirm it.

A doctor can certainly diagnose PTSD and opine on its level being so severe to preclude employment, but only if the doctor was eye witness themselves to the stressor, you will still need to prove your PTSD is caused by an inservice event.

I assume you received a VCAA letter that tells you what specific evidence the VA needs.

It is best to give as many details as possible -time, dates, witnesses, etc to them.

Also if a vet has multiple stressors it is also best to list the ones most likely to be able to be confirmed first by JSRRC.

Thanks for your reply. No booze for almost 15 years. It Can Be Done!!

The stressors are ok as is the nexus. The report back by DOD indicated that my unit was in combat on many occasions and I have my statement and that of other eyewitnesses (buddy statements)about specific events. Also the C & P examiner gives a clear diagnosis of PTSD (says specifically that I meet the DSMIV criteria). "(my name)... does meet the DSM-IV

criteria for combat-related posttraumatic stress disorder. The veteran's stressors and symptoms are described in detail above"

Also I have letter from another psychiatrist indicating that alcoholism was due to PTSD.

I had been told that if the VA had not accepted my stressors, I would not have been scheduled for C & P. Is that typically the case?

My claim went before the rating board over 30 days ago. How long does getting a rating usually take (also have Agent Orange/Diabetes II and bi-lateral hearing loss accompany PTSD claim). I'm thinking I should hear something pretty soon.

Thanks again for your help (and from before as well) this board has been a Godsend. Left to one's own the VA claim process is like walking in a room with no light wearing blindfold. It's not so much that there is no information as it is that there's a lot of differing information and one doesn't know what to believe.

Thx