Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ankylosis

Rate this question

Jayg

Question

Ankylosis. Exactly what is it? I read stiffness or locked.

I have a bum ankle and was denied 30% with explanation that they require "ankylosis" and Plantar flexion of 30-40% (I have 20% so forget that.) and dorsiflexion of 0-10% and I have 10%.

I have heavy swelling of ankles and they are stiff, but they state I have "no ankylosis." So what do they define ankylosis as???

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Ankylosis

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Ankylosis, or Anchylosis (from Greek ἀγκύλος, bent, crooked) is a stiffness of a joint, the result of injury or disease. The rigidity may be complete or partial and may be due to inflammation of the tendinous or muscular structures outside the joint or of the tissues of the joint itself. When the structures outside the joint are affected, the term "false" ankylosis has been used in contradistinction to "true" ankylosis, in which the disease is within the joint. When inflammation has caused the joint-ends of the bones to be fused together the ankylosis is termed osseous or complete. Excision of a completely ankylosed shoulder or elbow may restore free mobility and usefulness to the limb. "Ankylosis" is also used as an anatomical term, bones being said to ankylose (or anchylose) when, from being originally distinct, they coalesce, or become so joined together that no motion can take place between them."

And, it often occurs when a joint is afflicted with arthritis.

The flexibility of the joint is measured in degrees. The more the degrees the better the flexion and the less the Ankylosis.

You may want to look at your degrees of flexion again, with that in mind.

And, of course, if the joint is afflicted with arthritis, then there is the accompanying pain. And all measurements of a joint, to determine extent of disability is incomplete unless the joint flexibility is measured using a goniometer and described by degrees of flexion AND ANY concommitant PAIN (simply because pain can be disabling, in and of itself, and when combined with ankylosis, can render a joint totally useless (loss of use of, etc.).

"It is cold and we have no blankets.

The little children are freezing to death.

My people, some of them, have run away to the hills, and have no blankets, no food; no one knows where they are-perhaps freezing to death.

I want to have time to look for my children and see how many of them I can find.

Maybe I shall find them among the dead.

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired; my heart is sick and sad.

From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever."

Chief Joseph

• HadIt.com Elder

It means 2 or more joints becomming fused together by arthritis, calcium. Cervical fusion using bone is an example.

Complete means the entire segement is fused together.

J

Edited by jbasser

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

• HadIt.com Elder
It means 2 or more joints becomming fused together by arthritis, calcium. Cervical fusion using bone is an example.

Complete means the entire segement is fused together.

J

I agree, also that is something the examiner would have to mention. Most of the times they don't, if you have it then a IMO from a respected foot doctor might help.