VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New User

Rate this question

Steve1000

Question

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I'm a Vietnam Vet who served with the 25th ARVN in Duc Hoa.

Fortunately, I've been a healthy guy all these years since my discharge in January 1967. Then suddenly, WHAM! - 18 months ago a domino effect began. Since then, I've been diagnosed with PTSD, Diabetes Type2, Hypertension, Parksinson's Disease and then on January 18, 2010 I had Colon Cancer surgery.

The VA messed up with my original intake medical exam. After getting my medical records from the VA so that I could file a claim,I realized that thier readings showed that I was Diabetic, yet, no one ever told me. It wasn't until 8 months later when my private primary care physcian had me do a glucose tolerance test and he confirmed that I'm Diabetic. He prescribed Actos which has my sugar under control. However, I then had a Ratings Exam in Phoenix and the Ratings doctor told me that it didn't appear to him that I had Diabetes. I told him I was on Actos but he never charted it. Therefore, my claim for Diabetes was only awarded 10%. Of course it's on appeal.

What I don't understand is that the VA Regional has scheduled me for a mandatory neuro exam this week. I've "googled" information about neuro ratings exams but have found nothing relating to Parkinson's Disease. Does anyone have any information as to what I should expect during this exam. Is it wise to take all my medications with me?

The PTSD is still bouncing around (as am I!) It just happened out of the blue...I'm sure many of you can relate to this. All of a sudden terrifying nightmares, severe depression, wanting my life to be over but no specific plan to end it, panic attacks, fearing to go into public if I don't have a detailed specific plan, etc. So far the VA hasn't accepted my stressor letters as of any consequence and have referredt them to some place for further research. What they fail to recognize was that my stressors occured on the Vietnamese Base to which I reported to my Col.

I realize that Colon Cancer is not presumptive to AO but it all looks pretty strange when you look at all that has happened in this short period of time. I have Dukes IIIc Colon Cancer - you know the stage just before terminal.

And , of course, as we all know - Senator Webb had the Senate"table" the 3 new presumptives - what a guy! sure glad he didn't have my back over there! I'll probably be dead before I receive any compensation but, I guess, that's what the VA is counting on.

Would appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

The VA messed up with my original intake medical exam. After getting my medical records from the VA so that I could file a claim,I realized that thier readings showed that I was Diabetic, yet, no one ever told me. It wasn't until 8 months later when my private primary care physcian had me do a glucose tolerance test and he confirmed that I'm Diabetic"

What did the readings show? higher than 126 ?

Have you ever gotten a HBIAC test for diabetes? The OGTT is different from the HBIAC.

You might have the basis for a Section 1151 claim here.

A failure to diagnose and treat diabetes is negligence if the medical records fully reveal medical evidence of DMII.

That medical evidence might be separate from some glucose readings.

I proved my husband died from DMII due to VA negligence. The word diabetes never appeared in his med recs at all. They then misdiagnosed his strokes and heart disease-all from the AO diabetes. If a vet has DMII and they have enogh medical info to diagnose it and dont -that is negligence (a nice word for malpractice)

However the rating they gave you is low- perhaps they just considered you to be a borderline diabetic for some time (there really isnt any such thing)

,"I realized that thier readings showed that I was Diabetic, yet, no one ever told me."

What readings were these? Glucose over 128 on 3 separate occasions?

Did you check your creatine values? Any hyperlipedimia evident in the bood chem reports?

It IS possible they did not misdiagnose you-I have VAola paranoia when it comes to Vietnam vets and they care they get,My husband's best friend at the VA where he was employed was misdiagnosed too-they almost killed him too and they paid for it.

"PTSD, Diabetes Type2, Hypertension, Parksinson's Disease and then on January 18, 2010 I had Colon Cancer surgery." Are all of these disabilities being claimed?

As you know Parkinsons is now AO presumptive.

Is the type of colon cancer you have possibly a soft tissue sarcoma? If so that would be an AO STS service connectable cancer.

The neuro exam might be regarding the Parkinsons/ Someone here recently posted the C & P worksheets for the 3 new presumptives.I think they are in our Agent Orange forum.

"I'll probably be dead before I receive any compensation but, I guess, that's what the VA is counting on."

Veteran -keep your spirits Up and outlive the claim for SPITE!!!!

A lot did hit you all at once, Has your medical care been primarily from the VA?

Welcome to hadit.

"So far the VA hasn't accepted my stressor letters as of any consequence and have referredt them to some place for further research. What they fail to recognize was that my stressors occured on the Vietnamese Base to which I reported to my Col."

They mean JSRRC. Joint Services Records Research Center. There contact info is here under the search feature.

Do you have your military personnel file?

Why did VA reject the buddy statements?

Do you have the CAR or CIB on your DD 214? If so they should have conceded the stressor.

Have you tried to find the Colonel via Google or your unit's web site or some reunion rosters?

Steve 1000, and Mesoran, Welcome here at Hadit...looks like both inquires ended up on the same page...appears answers are relevant to Mesoran questions, but Steve 1000 you need to address issues/inquires you have too. Hopefully these 2 will separate as we will have people answering both on the same post level question section. I do hope posting info from others here would benefit all with the same/or/similiar issues.