Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Veterans Compensation Act Of 2009

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

According to what I have read this ACT 407, "The Veterans Compensation Cost of Living Adjustment Act of 2009" which has been passed by congress but not yet signed by the president, will give us a raise.

If you read the link, those changes, if the president signs it, would mean about a 5.7% increase, or about a $150 more for a 100% disabled Vet effective December 1, 2009.

I dont know..maybe I dont get it, but it looks like we are getting a nice raise unless Obama vetoes it.

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/ge...:s407es.txt.pdf

More is here:

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s111-407

Considering that vawatchdog.org says that our normal COLA would be about 0% this year, I would say 5.7% is a much improvement from that.

http://www.vawatchdog.org/09/nf09/nfjun09/nf061809-1.htm

• Answers 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Unfortunately, I think Basser and testvet are right and I am wrong. I interpreted it to mean if the CPI stays the same the INCREASE stays the same, that is, we get our raise.

They interpret it to mean if the CPI stays the same or lowers, the Compensation remains the same, that is, NO RAISE.

No doubt the powers that be will interpret that to mean the 'favor the Veteran' rule which REALLY MEANS:

"Give lip service to the Veterans concerns then forget the Veteran"

• HadIt.com Elder

My post was copied and pasted right off Senator Akaka's web site. If you read the law, which it is now since the President signed it there is a provision that lists the actual amounts. The amounts are exactly the same as last year. The fact of the matter is that the CPI was jacked up last year due to the cost of fuel, and the average works out to 2.85% increase over 2 years if we don't get a raise this year. Considering that the CPI is in negative terrain this is actually fair. They are letting us keep our "bonus."

We on the other hand think we should get more. I think the reason for that goes back to a 50% disability is only 28% of 100% and perhaps if 50% was 50% there might be less claims and the back log might decrease. That's just a guess on my part.

Edited by MikeR

• HadIt.com Elder

All that this Legislation will change is that Sec of VA can authorize a COLA to match Social Security's. If you get a 0% for Social Security that is what you will get from VA.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.