Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Knee Problem Again And Again And.....

Rate this question

LILS

Question

A few years ago I tore my meniscus in my right knee. Had a scope done and it was repaired. Over the last 5 yrs, it's been bothering me off and on and feels unstable. I went to the doctor many times. Finally, I got an MRI and it showed I have severe medial cartilage loss where the meniscus was repaired. Basically bone on bone rubbing together. I just had microfracture surgery to try to generate a "superclot" that will act as cartilage. Been on crutches, no weightbearing for 6 wks. They also performed autologous chondrocyte implantation (ACI) harvest. In other words, they took out some good cartilage and sent it to another state to grow in a lab, just in case this microfracture surgery doesn't work. They will implant the grown cartilage during another surgery. This time they will have to slice down my knee to implant it. My question is: With a ll these surgeries on one knee, what should I be looking at claiming? What if the ACI fixes my issues, do I get to claim that? Thanks for your guidance.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

sorry no one replied yet as far as I can see-

I dont see any SC rating in your profile thing on the left-

Do you have a service nexus (link) in your service medical records that has caused this disability?

VA needs proof of the service event that caused this as well as proof of the current disability.

They will use the rating schedule to give you a % rating and it appears they will possibly have to give you the Temp 100% comp-but this depends on whether this is service connected disability or not.

Do you have any SC rating for this yet?

Hello Berta,

I am still active duty and retire next year. I guess it will be service connected, since I'm still in the military. All that stuff is confusing to me, that's why I'm here <_< . Thanks for trying to help!

• HadIt.com Elder

Lils:

Hadit can help you but knowing what you need to do and what to expect should help you when you retire. Thank you for your Service.