Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hearing Loss Question

Rate this question

waynes

Question

I have sc hearing loss 0% and 10% on tinnitus, the VA gave me hearing aids which are a big joke, I can hear better without them. Since my C&P (2 years ago) my hearing and tinnitus has worsened and the company I work for gives yearly hearing test says the same. What all would I need to do to reopen this? Or is it worth the hassle trying to get more % on my hearing current hearing loss.

thanks

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

You will need new evidence to reopen after 2 years. Unless it is really significant I doubt if you can get much more than 10%. Maybe with 2 hearing aids you can

Have you reviewed your medical records on this issue.

My Hearing Aide is not much help to me unless I am just by myself watching TV and than I don't need it anyway. It bothers me how it makes high pitched sound so loud.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

If you can get a copy of the company hearing test it should help you to re-open your claim as it is new and material evidence that your condition got worse.

I am assuming the "0" % is an SC %?

It is pretty odd that they said "0" and gave you hearing aides for a "0" %. ????

Sort of like prescribed glasses when vision is 20-20 without them.

That is why I asked if this is a direct SC Zero.

As Pete said you need copy of your med recs and a copy of all the audio reports they did with the decibals etc.

The you need to match the results with the rating schedule for audio .

That is the best way to determine if the hearing should be a ratable level and compensated.

And the company audio test shows it has worsened.

10% is all they award on tinnitus - single or bilateral.

It is certainly worth the hassle if the VA owes you more compensation.

Have friend awarded 10 for tinnitus but denied for HL. His Hertz and decibal stuff simply didnt put him into a HL loss range they could compensate.The charts are often difficult to figure out but if you can get the actual audio C & P results (it should be right in your med recs) and compare to the rating schedule, you will see what range for each ear you have to be in for a proper compensable rating.

Maybe you did not fit into that criteria 2 years ago (they make mistakes so maybe you did!)but hopefully you got the same type of audio exam through your employer and hopefully they could release it to you.

This would be excellent evidence to re-open the claim with.

Edited by Berta

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

The va letter states:

(1)"Service connection for tinnitus is granted with an evaluation of 10%" (2)"Service connection of bilateral hearing loss is granted with an evaluation of 0%"

I got two hearing aids from the VA and thats about it.

If you can get a copy of the company hearing test it should help you to re-open your claim as it is new and material evidence that your condition got worse.

I am assuming the "0" % is an SC %?

It is pretty odd that they said "0" and gave you hearing aides for a "0" %. ????

Sort of like prescribed glasses when vision is 20-20 without them.

That is why I asked if this is a direct SC Zero.

As Pete said you need copy of your med recs and a copy of all the audio reports they did with the decibals etc.

The you need to match the results with the rating schedule for audio .

That is the best way to determine if the hearing should be a ratable level and compensated.

And the company audio test shows it has worsened.

10% is all they award on tinnitus - single or bilateral.

It is certainly worth the hassle if the VA owes you more compensation.

Have friend awarded 10 for tinnitus but denied for HL. His Hertz and decibal stuff simply didnt put him into a HL loss range they could compensate.The charts are often difficult to figure out but if you can get the actual audio C & P results (it should be right in your med recs) and compare to the rating schedule, you will see what range for each ear you have to be in for a proper compensable rating.

Maybe you did not fit into that criteria 2 years ago (they make mistakes so maybe you did!)but hopefully you got the same type of audio exam through your employer and hopefully they could release it to you.

This would be excellent evidence to re-open the claim with.

Waynes

My recommendations are as follows:

1) Apply for an increase if you think your hearing loss has worsened. You can go to a private audiologist for the test to see how it compares to the VA. Many companies are glad to do hearing tests for free, hoping you will buy hearing aids from them.

2) Go back to your VA audiologist and tell him/her your hearing aids are not working. There are several causes, wax buildup, defective electronics, moisture damage, need reprogrammed, etc. My VA hearing aids work pretty good, tho hearing aids are a prosthetic like a wheel chair..the prosthetics are a help but they are not like the real thing. The VA will give you a new set of hearing aids about every 3 years, so if it has been that long, or longer, you are due for new ones. Newer is better when it comes to hearing aids.

3) Post your decibel loss on hadit or PM me. I will look it up for you to see if you are rated right. Unfortunately you have to be nearly deaf to get a hearing loss rating above 0%. You also need to tell me the speech discrimination as well as your decible loss in order to calculate your hearing loss rating.