Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Claim

Rate this question

pete

Question

How on earth do you post on this new site? Anyway, to make a long story short I filed for ptsd, went to a private psychologist twice and got a GAF of 45. Got a va c&p which lasted 50 minutes and the psychiatrist resident gave me a gaf of 69. I was infantry (Vietnam) purple heart, verifiable stressors, etc. Was told today on the 800# that I'm being awarded 10%. Now what? Also, I've got shrapnel behind my left knee which is bothering me considerably-the va doc gave me a 6 month supply of Vicodin which I'm reluctant to take because it's a narcotic. I've never made a claim for the knee. Berta, if you see this somewhere on this site would you be kind enough to give me some advice? All others welcome, as well. Pete

• Answers 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I am at a loss. If a veteran has been given a GAF of 45 for the past two years by his VAMC psychiarist, why would it be expected of the vet to have IMO's and C & P exams. If they do not consider the opinions and diagnosis of their own doctors, then why are the veterans being sent there for care?

Bev.

• HadIt.com Elder

Bev:

An honest opinion is oftentimes the best defense. Remember the VA Docs are trained not to make a claim easy for a Veteran.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

I am at a loss.  If a veteran has been given a GAF of 45 for the past two years by his VAMC psychiarist, why would it be expected of the vet to have IMO's and C & P exams.  If they do not consider the opinions and diagnosis of their own doctors, then why are the veterans being sent there for care?

Bev.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They do take their own doctor's opinions....IF it means a lower rating. As I said in my reply, if this veterna's situation were reversed (IE - he got the higher GAF from the civilian rather then the VA doc), then the RO would have taken the IMO over the VA opinion to justify the lower rating. As pete said, these people are trained to make the process as difficult as possible and they will almost ALWAYS go with the evidence that is in the VA's favor, despite the fact that the regultions state then the VA should award in the veteran's favor. The regs are great, the problem is that the VAROs don't have to follow them.

Guest VetWife Advocate
They do take their own doctor's opinions....IF it means a lower rating.  As I said in my reply, if this veterna's situation were reversed (IE - he got the higher GAF from the civilian rather then the VA doc), then the RO would have taken the IMO over the VA opinion to justify the lower rating.  As pete said, these people are trained to make the process as difficult as possible and they will almost ALWAYS go with the evidence that is in the VA's favor, despite the fact that the regultions state then the VA should award in the veteran's favor.  The regs are great, the problem is that the VAROs don't have to follow them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Pete, This is the VA merrygoround and Hope you get off at the next denial or lowball rating. This is why you are here. Roll your sleeves up and start with the NOD/DRO Review. Do you have a copy of your full and complete CFILE and all of your VAMC Labs/records/including psych reports? If not, get them ALL!!

They did ths to my husband and he like most Vets took that anger and said Screw them and in turn Screwed himself. They count on this. They know ya'll mental makeup!! NOW the Battle begins, DO NOT GIVE UP!! Thanks for your service and spread the word about Hadit!!

PETE, you still working? If not, when did you stop? Why? :blink: B) B)

BRenda

Pete, This is the VA merrygoround and Hope you get off at the next denial or lowball rating.  This is why you are here.  Roll your sleeves up and start with the NOD/DRO Review.  Do you have a copy of your full and complete CFILE and all of your VAMC Labs/records/including psych reports?  If not, get them ALL!! 

They did ths to my husband and he like most Vets took that anger and said Screw them and in turn Screwed himself.  They count on this.  They know ya'll mental makeup!!  NOW the Battle begins, DO NOT GIVE UP!!  Thanks for your service and spread the word about Hadit!! 

PETE, you still working?  If not, when did you stop?  Why?  :rolleyes:  :P  :D

BRenda

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

how do you get the c-file? I've had over twenty jobs in 35 years-told the va doc that I have no trouble getting jobs--just have a problem keeping them because of anger issues, etc. She put in her review that I had no trouble getting jobs--nothing about keeping them.

Gee- I dont know how I missed this post-----

Veteran- that rating sucks-

the least they should have given you is 30% PTSD -at this time-and as the other Pete here said- the scar and any residuals should be rated-

Did you get the PH for this and is it on your DD 214?

The PH is usually worth 50% in many instances- a valid stressor-

Do you have a service officer?

If you are not employed I suggest you file out the TDIU form 21-8940

(I cant attach to fast reply)

and also attach your SSA wage statement to it-

I am assuming you have current PTSD diagnosis and some treatment or medication records with VA?

The VA just loves paper and we all have to build a paper trail to have documentation to fight our claims.