Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Claim

Rate this question

pete

Question

How on earth do you post on this new site? Anyway, to make a long story short I filed for ptsd, went to a private psychologist twice and got a GAF of 45. Got a va c&p which lasted 50 minutes and the psychiatrist resident gave me a gaf of 69. I was infantry (Vietnam) purple heart, verifiable stressors, etc. Was told today on the 800# that I'm being awarded 10%. Now what? Also, I've got shrapnel behind my left knee which is bothering me considerably-the va doc gave me a 6 month supply of Vicodin which I'm reluctant to take because it's a narcotic. I've never made a claim for the knee. Berta, if you see this somewhere on this site would you be kind enough to give me some advice? All others welcome, as well. Pete

• Answers 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Gee- I dont know how I missed this post-----

Veteran- that rating sucks-

the least they should have given you is 30% PTSD -at this time-and as the other Pete here said- the scar and any residuals should be rated-

Did you get the PH for this and is it on your DD 214?

The PH is usually worth 50% in many instances- a valid stressor-

Do you have a service officer?

If you are not employed I suggest you file out the TDIU form 21-8940

(I cant attach to fast reply)

and also attach your SSA wage statement to it-

I am assuming you have current PTSD diagnosis and some treatment or medication records with VA?

The VA just loves paper and we all have to build a paper trail to have documentation to fight our claims.

Hi Berta, thanks for the reply. I was actually awarded 10% for tinnitus, 0% for one ear, and the ptsd was deferred because the VA c&p report hadn't been reviewed---so I'm waiting for that. I was originally told over the phone that the ptsd was 10%. Sorry for the misinformation. What effect do you think the high gaf score will have? My PH is on my DD214 and there are two verified stressors in the file. Thank you. Pete

Hi Berta, thanks for the reply. I was actually awarded 10% for tinnitus, 0% for one ear, and the ptsd was deferred because the VA c&p report hadn't been reviewed---so I'm waiting for that. I was originally told over the phone that the ptsd was 10%. Sorry for the misinformation. What effect do you think the high gaf score will have? My PH is on my DD214 and there are two verified stressors in the file. Thank you. Pete

Pete,

Get more information from your private doctors and check the background of your VA C&P examiner. In a lot of cases the VA examiner is not a psychiatrist (and often not even a psychologist). As I have told others in the past, you need to treat your case as if it were a law suite...collect as much evidence as you can that not only shows your true level of disability, but aslo collect information that discredits any negative information. You may want to get a copy of your C&P and bring it to your civilian doctor and ask him/her to rebutt it point by point. As berta said, you need a solid paper trail and the more evidence you get the stronger your case is (and the less likely the RO is to screw you).

How on earth do you post on this new site? Anyway, to make a long story short I filed for ptsd, went to a private psychologist twice and got a GAF of 45. Got a va c&p which lasted 50 minutes and the psychiatrist resident gave me a gaf of 69. I was infantry (Vietnam) purple heart, verifiable stressors, etc. Was told today on the 800# that I'm being awarded 10%. Now what? Also, I've got shrapnel behind my left knee which is bothering me considerably-the va doc gave me a 6 month supply of Vicodin which I'm reluctant to take because it's a narcotic. I've never made a claim for the knee. Berta, if you see this somewhere on this site would you be kind enough to give me some advice? All others welcome, as well. Pete

Pete- I too have had problems here and do not even know if this post will go through-

10% sucks of course -particularily with the Purple Heart-that rating is ridiculous.

Those 800# people are not always on the ball- have you gotten the actual decision yet?

As soon as the Decision comes- please post here what they said-

I will help prepare your NOD- my time is VERY limited- but if you put Pete Hadit in email I will try to respond that way-

We can add ,with the notice of Disagreement, an additional claim for the knee schrapnel residuals .

Are you employed at all?

If not, do you get SSA disability and what for?

If you are not employed we will ask them for TDIU too-

Total Disability based on Unemployability.TDIU.

Do you have any hearing problems or tinnitus (a chronic ringing in the ears)?

Do you have a service officer or anyone with POA that will get a copy of this decision?

I have a PTSD Vet with PH who got 40% on the GSW and residuals and 50% on the PTSD due to the GSW

as stressor and (I didnt get him these) but I got him 100% under Sec 1151 because they misdiagnosed his colon cancer. from NHL- he still has not filed a claim I prepared for him a year ago for direct 100% SC due to AO.

In any event - clearly this shows you they are wrong and this 10% is absolutely ludicrous!

Berta

Are you employed at all?

Do you have a service officer or anyone with POA that will get a copy of this decision?

I have a PTSD Vet with PH who got 40% on the GSW and residuals and 50% on the PTSD due to the GSW

as stressor and (I didnt get him these) but I got him 100% under Sec 1151 because they misdiagnosed his colon cancer. from NHL- he still has not filed a claim I prepared for him a year ago for direct 100% SC due to AO.

In any event - clearly this shows you they are wrong and this 10% is absolutely ludicrous!

Berta

Pete- I too have had problems here and do not even know if this post will go through-

10% sucks of course -particularily with the Purple Heart-that rating is ridiculous.

Those 800# people are not always on the ball- have you gotten the actual decision yet?

I will help prepare your NOD- my time is VERY limited- but if you put Pete Hadit in email I will try to respond that way-

We can add ,with the notice of Disagreement, an additional claim for the knee schrapnel residuals .

Guest frank

Are you employed at all?

Berta

Are you employed at all?

Berta

I WONDER IF YOU ARE 100% PTSD AND YOU DIED HOW WOULD VA RATE THE DEATH FRANK

• HadIt.com Elder

Frank

If you have 100% PTSD it is important to get an autopsy done on yourself. If there is heart disease you might be able to get a service connected death. Best to get any heart disease SC'ed before death since this is hell on a widow to try and prove SC death after the fact.

• HadIt.com Elder

The safest way to provide for your spouse is to live 10 years after 100% Award date. I recomment that to all. Failing that it would serve you well to make sure that the spouse is informed what has to be done to protect her benefits. As far as PTSD the VA has eased up and does allow the pension for spouse of Vets who died from heart problems.

Frank

If you have 100% PTSD it is important to get an autopsy done on yourself. If there is heart disease you might be able to get a service connected death. Best to get any heart disease SC'ed before death since this is hell on a widow to try and prove SC death after the fact.