Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Vocrehab And Presently Working

Rate this question

diablogun

Question

Hi folks,

I am wondering if one can presently work and still qualify for vocrehab? I work full-time, and for the next few years will be able to do so--albeit while in pain--but want to get school paid for so that I can do a sit down job such as teaching when I am unable to do my present job. Will the VA help me with this? There is no way I can take care of my family on my disability pay (60% soon to go to 80 or 90 I hope) even with the extra money they pay while in school. Any suggestions?

By the way, I meet with the VocRehab people on July 30 and am wondering what they will tell me.

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

diablogun,

You can work and go to school at the same time. Since you have an appointment with Voc Rehab try to have a school in mind. Let them know that you plan to start as soon as possible. Keep in mind that Voc Rehab will try to talk you out of it but hold your ground

Thanks Pete, I guess I will research the school(s) I want to go to in order to present them with a best option. Even if I am working will I still collect the extra money they pay folks who are attending school?

I was able to work full time and attend school via voc rehab. Collected the money also.

It just doesn't leave much time for anything else......Eric

Hi folks,

I am wondering if one can presently work and still qualify for vocrehab? I work full-time, and for the next few years will be able to do so--albeit while in pain--but want to get school paid for so that I can do a sit down job such as teaching when I am unable to do my present job. Will the VA help me with this? There is no way I can take care of my family on my disability pay (60% soon to go to 80 or 90 I hope) even with the extra money they pay while in school. Any suggestions?

By the way, I meet with the VocRehab people on July 30 and am wondering what they will tell me.

What Voc Rehab will look at is your current job and it's financial ability to support your family. The main point of Voc Rehab is to get you employed. You need to state that your current position is not a career that will support your family. You will have to be very specific about the career path you are looking for that will not affect or be affected by your disability/ies.

Voc Rehab will require you to have a specific goal with a specific education plan.

Research the career you would like to have, the employment rate of that career (teaching is a hard one at the moment with government cutbacks), job availability/demand etc. All of these need to be in your favor...

Example: I have a degree in Psychology which doesn't go far. Voc Rehab approved program in NY for a Bachelors and Masters in Psych/ Social Work. Completed my Bachelors. Moved to CA, had to reapply, Voc rehab does not always transfer. CA would not approve Masters. (fighting it) Now I have a degree that goes no where. You can not be a Social Worker/ Counselor without at the least a Masters Degree.

My point is...be very selective and make sure you choose a career path that is right for you, considering your disability. Research and put together a case for your Educational as well as Financial needs.

Good Luck!

Thank you so much for the information :-) I guess I better have exactly what I want in mind before I meet with them--and be ready to make my case for it.

How long can one be in an educational program? It is my thinking that I would be best served by going part-time to school; do you think they would be ok with that?

Thank you so much for the information :-) I guess I better have exactly what I want in mind before I meet with them--and be ready to make my case for it.

How long can one be in an educational program? It is my thinking that I would be best served by going part-time to school; do you think they would be ok with that?

They will help you put together an educational plan with about 48 months for completion, given you haven't used any of your GI Bill. You can definitely choose to go part time....starting from scratch that will take awhile to complete...but that's ok ;) You can go to school for a Degree or specific Training/Certification, tech schools.

Some insider points for Voc Rehab....some states pay subsistence allowance while you attend online education...some don't.

The Voc Rehab program pays for tuition, books and then gives subsistence allowance, while GI Bill gives you a set amount of money and everything you need comes from that, you keep the left overs.

What ever you need to support your educational plan...ask for. (Laptop, chair, pens, paper, calculator,) If you don't ask you will not receive...

Hope some of this helps!