Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Destroyed Records

Rate this question

jsdwd

Question

I have received my rating decision letter and am still digesting it. One of the things I've noticed is that no account seems to have been taken of psychological treatment I received for nearly four years by a private psychologist. The C & P examiner noted this Treatment, but it was not mentioned in the Rating Decision Report. I paid him cash so there is not insurance record (I didn't want psychological treatment in my files which would be available to prospective employers). The psychologist died and the custodian of his records (also a psychologist I know) destroyed records once they were seven years old. That included mine.

Am I wasting my time in trying to get the reviewer to take note of this treatment. PTSD, alcoholism and the symptoms arising from those was a primary topic of many of those sessions, but the only source for that is me.

What's the best way to go about this? I'd ask my VSO but don't have a lot of faith in him at this point.

Thx. This board is a Godsend.

Edited by jsdwd

• Answers 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

The most you can do is get the psychologist that destroyed the records to write statmeent that at one time the records existed. This would have no probative value as it account for records but no the contents thereof. Otherwise the fact that there were records are based on your personal account.

Yep, similar situation happened to me. I sought treatment soon after service but they were destroyed 7 years later. I think the 7 year destruction rule is pretty standard but might be different state to state.

Frank

I have received my rating decision letter and am still digesting it. One of the things I've noticed is that no account seems to have been taken of psychological treatment I received for nearly four years by a private psychologist. The C & P examiner noted this Treatment, but it was not mentioned in the Rating Decision Report. I paid him cash so there is not insurance record (I didn't want psychological treatment in my files which would be available to prospective employers). The psychologist died and the custodian of his records (also a psychologist I know) destroyed records once they were seven years old. That included mine.

Am I wasting my time in trying to get the reviewer to take note of this treatment. PTSD, alcoholism and the symptoms arising from those was a primary topic of many of those sessions, but the only source for that is me.

What's the best way to go about this? I'd ask my VSO but don't have a lot of faith in him at this point.

Thx. This board is a Godsend.

May I ask what was the rating decision?

I am trying to figure if you really need those 4 years.

I don't know if it would be a factor or not.

My guess is not much if anything, but I think I'll let them decide that. Otherwise I'm sort of negotiating with myself.

There are a number of other factors that will be more critical for my appeal and I will also address each of them. But, I don't see any percentage in shortening the list.

It will be one or two sentences in a letter and a letter from the psychologist who was custodian of the records.

I have received my rating decision letter and am still digesting it.

jsdwd,

How about posting the following sections of your Rating Decision:

1) Evidence

2) Reasons and Bases

carlie

If you were on medication, such as prozac, there should be records of these prescriptions being filled. If you did not file for benefits until after that, it may not matter, other than an IME. You may well get an IMO from the psychologist who said he destroyed the records. Just a suggestion.