Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Acid Reflux Claim

Rate this question

ArmyTexas

Question

Trying to figure out how to claim this. I was Chap 61 in 2007 for Asthma. During a visit to the Army Pulmonologist he prescribed omeprezole for Acid-reflux but noted "patient denies significant acid reflux or GERD" on the treatment record. Why would he prescribe the meds then? I have been on that med until I retired and started Nexium 40mg a day, increased to 80mg a day and just recently my Civ Pulmonologist of since I left the service added carfate to the mix. I didn't realize I could file for reflux until reading this forum. Just wondering how should I pursue this. Should I file as an initial SC with all the med records and a Nexus or should I file the reflux as seconday to the Asthma (or is it vice versa) chicken or egg first?

Thanks so much.

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

It maybe best to ask your current doctor to review your medical history both military and civilian and ask his opinion is your acid reflux secondary caused by your asthma or is it related to your military service. Since you have been increased on medication I would think that you had to complain of some of the conditions or maybe they found something in your exams: X-rays or EDG (scopes) test.

Edited by pacmanx1

My intentions are to help, my advice maybe wrong, be your own advocate and know what is in your C-File and the 38 CFR that governs your disabilities and conditions.

Do your own homework. No one knows the veteran’s symptoms like the veteran. Never Give Up.

I do not give my consent for anyone to view my personal VA records.

As this was listed in your SMRs, you can file for it as a service connected condition. While it said there so no significant acid reflux or GERD, it do not state that it was not there. With secondary condition you have to have evidence that either the sc condition or medication for that condition caused or aggravaed the condition you are now claiming. Keep it simple.

"Don't give up. Don't ever give up." Jimmy V

Trying to figure out how to claim this. I was Chap 61 in 2007 for Asthma. During a visit to the Army Pulmonologist he prescribed omeprezole for Acid-reflux but noted "patient denies significant acid reflux or GERD" on the treatment record. Why would he prescribe the meds then? I have been on that med until I retired and started Nexium 40mg a day, increased to 80mg a day and just recently my Civ Pulmonologist of since I left the service added carfate to the mix. I didn't realize I could file for reflux until reading this forum. Just wondering how should I pursue this. Should I file as an initial SC with all the med records and a Nexus or should I file the reflux as seconday to the Asthma (or is it vice versa) chicken or egg first?

Thanks so much.

In you SMR's what was the diagnosis listed during that visit. If he prescribed meds then he more than likely listed some type of daignosis. If he diagnosed GERD then you will be able to Direct SC the issue. If no diagnosis is listed then follow the advise already given -discuss it with your current doc.

• HadIt.com Elder

Be sure that you get treatment for acid reflux. It has killed a lot of people who just tried over the counter stuff.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Took a while, but I was finally able to get some treatment records that were not included in my complete record copied by Fort Lewis when I retired. Found 5 additinal treatment events where it is listed in the diagnosis: esophoageal reflux W/ Omeprazole 20mg prescribed. I also was able to get the Fort Lewis pharmacy to send my prescription hx and it's listed as dispensed. I think I'm at the point where I can send it in, but I'm in a delimma. I got finished up with C&P's this week for increase in cervical issues, headaches and Radiculopathy secondary. Should I send it in now with it probably holding things up or wait until I get the decision?

Get it out of the way, as you can get direct service-connection for that condition. You will also have to get a endoscopy ASAP, as the C&P will need this.

I am getting my GERD evaluated as secondary due to service-connected condtions, and in my C&P I already had the endoscopy done, and that case was done and sent to the RO the same day.

Good luck!!!

Operation Iraqi Freedom 07-08

40% lower back, 10% migraines, 10% depression, 10% dermatitis 0% residuals of right foot, 0% esophagitis & 0% hypertension

"To care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow, and his orphan"

- Abraham Lincoln