Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Acid Reflux Claim

Rate this question

ArmyTexas

Question

Trying to figure out how to claim this. I was Chap 61 in 2007 for Asthma. During a visit to the Army Pulmonologist he prescribed omeprezole for Acid-reflux but noted "patient denies significant acid reflux or GERD" on the treatment record. Why would he prescribe the meds then? I have been on that med until I retired and started Nexium 40mg a day, increased to 80mg a day and just recently my Civ Pulmonologist of since I left the service added carfate to the mix. I didn't realize I could file for reflux until reading this forum. Just wondering how should I pursue this. Should I file as an initial SC with all the med records and a Nexus or should I file the reflux as seconday to the Asthma (or is it vice versa) chicken or egg first?

Thanks so much.

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

If you file your claim now it will delay your current claim decision but the effective date should be the date of your current claim. If you wait and file your claim the effective date of your acid reflux will be the date that you filed. It is up to you. Since it is diagnosed in your SMRs maybe adding another 90 to 180 days or less depends on how fast they request a C & P exam and how fast you actually get a C & P. Welcome to hadit.

Hope the best for you

pete992,

thanks, I was thinking that it took 8 months just to get the C&P's finished this week. I think I may hold off until I get the decision on the others.

Thanks,

If you file your claim now it will delay your current claim decision but the effective date should be the date of your current claim. If you wait and file your claim the effective date of your acid reflux will be the date that you filed. It is up to you. Since it is diagnosed in your SMRs maybe adding another 90 to 180 days or less depends on how fast they request a C & P exam and how fast you actually get a C & P. Welcome to hadit.

Hope the best for you

I'm going to be claiming mine as primary service connected. I was able to find it in my military med records of being diagnosed with it and prescribed Nexuim for it. I also have continued treatment records from a month after retirement until current, so about 2+ years. I'm holding off on submitting the claim until my others are in. C&P were a month ago for them and Waco RO usually takes 2 months after a C&P. If I would have known at the time I submitted the others that GERD/ Reflux was compensatable, I would have packaged it together.

im claiming acid reflux secondary to medication im taking. are you claiming the same.