Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Lawyer V. Vso

Rate this question

jsdwd

Question

I am going to appeal my rating as being under-rated (received 30% for ptsd and think it should have been at least 50% or 70%)

A friend recommended an American Legion VSO who works right in the same building as the RO.

Another friend recommended a lawyer who is from another state.

The VSO told me "don't get a lawyer". When people tell me not to get a lawyer, I become suspcious.

Other than the obvious difference that I have to pay the lawyer (he is willing to take the case on contingency) what are the advantages and disadvantages of each.

I wish to decide before making the appeal. Each has sent me a Power of Attorney to sign...

What should I do?

BTW about how long will a DRO appeal process take (approximately)?

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

My opinion is I wish I had the opportunity to have a Lawyer but the VA would not let me.I agree with John999. The Lawyer has looked at your claim and is making an investment in you cause he loses if you do.

I would hire the Lawyer. Hadit could help you win the claim and the VSO might but after looking at the credentials of Robert Chisholm I would bet on him as pretty much a sure thing.

Another luxury a Lawyer offers is Peace of Mind and less worry cause all you do is coast to the finish line.

Good Luck

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Well we have been fighting for several years and finally got a 10% rating, that was it we hired a

lawyer and have been very happy with the results so far, will let you know how it turns out,

• HadIt.com Elder

the only reason I won at BVA was due to my lawyer I wouldn;t give you a dime for all of the VSOs in Columbia

100% SC P&T PTSD 100% CAD 10% Hypertension and A&A = SMC L, SSD
a disabled American veteran certified lol
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."