Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Lead Testing?

Rate this question

retiredat44

Question

I am disabled and worked in Fuels in the USAF. I need a lead test for a new claim. My VA primary care doctor says she cannot order a lead test. I have been asking for a lead test for 10 years. Could somone please tell me how to get one, how do they take a lead test, and anything else.

I went to an outside of the VA doctor that is doing an IME/IMO for me after reviewing my medical records and doing an exam. (btw, the two hour visit was $1,600). My VA Service Officer who is helping me put my claim together is trying to look into this test as well.

thanx,,

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Lead would be in your bones. It can and does remain in your bones for decades. I am going thru a simular hassle. The bva is trying to rate me for years of lead dust inhalation. I am in remand at the amc and the bva for hearing loss. Let us know if you find out about a bone dencity test. I know dencity is spelled wrong but that is what the test is called. Les

I had a bone density test a few years ago.. but that has nothing to do with lead test. As far as I know.

dammit I cannot figure out how to edit my posts on this forum,, am I blind too?..

anyways..

this doctor, that specializes in toxicology, told me that the bones actually keep the lead info for a very long time. I was led to believe through all my research that bones rebuild themselves every ten years. But, apparently, they keep everything forever, or close to it..

Maybe it isn't called a bone density test but I believe they can somehow go into your leg bone to get a lead reading. If you have been subjected to lead paint dust as I was for 7 years active army, they refer this to the body burden of lead. If you Google body burden of lead you will find a lot on this subject.

I am disabled and worked in Fuels in the USAF. I need a lead test for a new claim. My VA primary care doctor says she cannot order a lead test. I have been asking for a lead test for 10 years. Could somone please tell me how to get one, how do they take a lead test, and anything else.

I went to an outside of the VA doctor that is doing an IME/IMO for me after reviewing my medical records and doing an exam. (btw, the two hour visit was $1,600). My VA Service Officer who is helping me put my claim together is trying to look into this test as well.

thanx,,

What condition are you claiming?

• HadIt.com Elder

What you need to ask for is a Heavy Metals Test. Don't just ask for lead.

A heavy metals test is a blood test & shouldn't be that hard to get one. Atleast it wasn't for me. I simply asked for it. If your PCP denies your request, try going through your Social Worker at the VAMC to see if they can help. Explain that you were a fuel handler & have current health problems relating to it. Nerve damage, etc.

Also, Benzene in fuels causes alot of damage.