Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Student Loan Discharge

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

I dont get it. I have been rated 100% P and T by the VA, awarded SSD, but the student loan people denied my student loan discharge twice. The first time they said my doc did not specifically state the reason I could not work on my form. So, I sent it in with another doc, this time they denied it because he was a PsyD, and not an MD.

Has any one gotten this, and what does it take to make this happen, Blood?

Thanks..

Bronco

• Answers 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Be aware that it is a 3-year process, so it's not going to get discharged quickly if that's what anyone here expects.

Just recently got mine discharged.

-- John D.

Thanks for the heads-up! How long did it take you?

• HadIt.com Elder

They have recently changed the rules. My suggestion is to check. Many here would not have to pay back cause of low income.

They have recently changed the rules. My suggestion is to check. Many here would not have to pay back cause of low income.

yea that what i heard too... i need to find out more about it ...

• Your student loan may be discharged (forgiven) if you become totally and permanently disabled. If a physician (doctor of medicine or osteopathy) certified that you are totally and permanently disabled and you meet other requirements during a 3 year conditional discharge period your loan(s) may be discharged. It is important to note that: You may receive Social Security, VA or other disability benefits and still not meet the definition of total and permanent disability that applies to student loan discharges.
  • You do not qualify for discharge if the medical condition or impairment existed at the time you applied for the loan, unless after that time, the condition significantly deteriorated and then you became totally and permanently disabled. In other words, an individual who was already totally and permanently disabled when he or she applied for a loan cannot have that loan discharged for that condition.

that waht it said confused me ...cus i was disabiled when i got the loan and now it somewhat worse and i have a couple of new conditions since then

Thanks for the heads-up! How long did it take you?

"Officially" 3 years. BUT, add about a year extra trying to get the VA to sign and fill out the VERY SIMPLE Loan Discharge form PROPERLY. For me the process was a nightmare and I almost gave up.

There is a lot to know (if you are a vet) trying to get your loan discharged because due to the VA system, there are a number of things that can go wrong and slow the process down (as happened to me -- I could write a book on it but don't have the time nor inclination). If you have a civilian doctor only, then the process should be MUCH easier.

Whatever, the sooner you begin, the sooner the 3-years will be over.

Good luck,

-- John D.

Edited by cloudcroft

Wow...Thank you hadit members. My question is why did the student loan people fail to tell me about this? They just kept declining my application, and now, I know all I need to do is resend the form with a copy of my 100% P and T VA letter. Thanks!!!!!!!!

I hope this helps another Vet!!!!