Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Student Loan Discharge

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

I dont get it. I have been rated 100% P and T by the VA, awarded SSD, but the student loan people denied my student loan discharge twice. The first time they said my doc did not specifically state the reason I could not work on my form. So, I sent it in with another doc, this time they denied it because he was a PsyD, and not an MD.

Has any one gotten this, and what does it take to make this happen, Blood?

Thanks..

Bronco

• Answers 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

When I did mine, around 1999, I had a psychiatrist sign but a psychiatrist is an MD. The Vermont system accepted that and wrote off about $29k, in student loans, that I had used, to survive on, while prosecuting my VA claim. Try having the doc who signs your scripts, do it.

pr

I dont get it. I have been rated 100% P and T by the VA, awarded SSD, but the student loan people denied my student loan discharge twice. The first time they said my doc did not specifically state the reason I could not work on my form. So, I sent it in with another doc, this time they denied it because he was a PsyD, and not an MD.

Thanks..

Bronco

Wow, I did not know about this. I had my Student Loans paid of years ago, but my wife just got SSI awarded in May, and she still owes about 9k in Student Loans.

Are you saying that she can apply to have them written off?

If she can apply to have them written off, what do we have to do?

Or is it only for veterans?

"It is a terrible thing, when you lose your train of thought and you only have a one track mind"... Me

96C2P/96F2P (old MOS designations)

97E2P/37F2P (new MOS designations)

Yes, you can apply for student loan forgiveness for either a Vet or non Vet, if you are P and T and not able to work. Ask your loan servicer for the forms to have your doctor fill out.

I receive SSD and I applied for federal student loan forgiveness and was told that my income was over the national poverty level (I think$13,000.00 yearly). I tried to explain that my income was less on disability than when I worked and the money wasn't there. However, they still denied me. I will continue to follow this thread to see what others are saying and doing in this situation.

Thanks

Smilen

Thanks..

Bronco

Take a copy of the form that your PsyD signed to your MD adn have him sign another one. Just another hoop to jump through. You should be use to it by now! Jump, fetch, roll over, play dead. :D :D :D :D

"Don't give up. Don't ever give up." Jimmy V

Take a copy of the form that your PsyD signed to your MD adn have him sign another one. Just another hoop to jump through. You should be use to it by now! Jump, fetch, roll over, play dead. :D :D :D :D

well i owe for a student loan..i was going to try the same thing..except they told me if you get any of the loans after you been found disabiled then you got to pay them back.... i did look on the form and it says that if you have gotten worse????i love to know how to get rid of this..i cant work i cant pay back student laons to much longer on 50% and ssi...