Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Student Loan Discharge

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

I dont get it. I have been rated 100% P and T by the VA, awarded SSD, but the student loan people denied my student loan discharge twice. The first time they said my doc did not specifically state the reason I could not work on my form. So, I sent it in with another doc, this time they denied it because he was a PsyD, and not an MD.

Has any one gotten this, and what does it take to make this happen, Blood?

Thanks..

Bronco

• Answers 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

They are bill collectors and they lie to get money

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Will being in default of payments affect the discharge of a student loans? :D

I can see them asking "Why are you in default?".

We say "Because we have no money to pay, that's why!".

Then they will say, "Well, you must be current, before you can apply, sorry.".

We say again "We have no money...".

*sigh*

"It is a terrible thing, when you lose your train of thought and you only have a one track mind"... Me

96C2P/96F2P (old MOS designations)

97E2P/37F2P (new MOS designations)

The student loan website, at least what I read, does not exclude loans in default for P and T Veterans, tho it could say that somewhere else.

However, you may be able to prevent, or possibly sometimes even cure, student loan defaults with other programs. There are several. They include unemployment and hardship. Go to the student loan website or call your student loan servicer.

If your student loan is in default, you probably wont be able to get another student loan.

You want to stay on top of your student loans, if you are in default of student loans they can deduct that money out of your tax refund check.

My student loans have been paid off for years and years. My wife (took out the loans before I knew her) has been in default for years and years, and doesn't even know the name of her lender. She just received SSI in June, so I was wondering if there was anyway to discharge her loans. She is not a veteran.

I guess the first thing to do, is to find out the name of her lender. They sent her something in the mail last year, but she just threw it away. :D

Edited by Bonzai

"It is a terrible thing, when you lose your train of thought and you only have a one track mind"... Me

96C2P/96F2P (old MOS designations)

97E2P/37F2P (new MOS designations)

Hey Bonzai, Ever hear the old saying "Let sleeping dogs lay" or something like that. If, you are doing an tax return and not getting your refund, this is one way the government is getting paid for the loan.

Also, I had my discharged back in 1982, and not because I was a Veteran. I work civil service and happen to be reading an article and the discharge of student loans for the handicapped caught my eye. Since, the government hired me under the handicap program, it was hard to deny me on this. Within 2 weeks my loan was all gone. About $12,000.00 goodbye :D .

Papa