VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

In Rare Cases A Veteran Can Have Ssd For One Reason And Va For Another.

Rate this question

smilen66

Question

Pete53: "In rare cases a Veteran can have SSD for one reason and VA for another."

Pete53 and Other Members, the above statement applies to my situation. My SSD was awarded because of a stroke in April 2007. I have not recovered completely from the stroke. It left me at being a high risk for fall,right sided weakness, intermittent numbness, expressive aphasia, and nerve pain in right hand and arm.

A decision has been made on my V.A. claim however, I have not received anything official.

My claim was for DJD in neck (bi), back, hip, right shoulder, tear and cyst in rotator cuff. Bony abnormaltives were found in neck, shoulder, and back. In addition, bursitis in both hips (right mostly). My most recent diagnosis since this claim was filed is a bulging disk in c6.

All of the above are mostly (90%) problems with the right side of my body but I am now having problems with left knee and ankle because I favor that side when walking.

I don't want to rock the boat with SSA by updating my claim (if it is possible to update) but I don't want to lose my benefits after a reevaluation with SSA for stroke. What should I do...any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

Ever heard this phrase, "Don’t Let Your Left Hand Know What Your Right Hand Is Doing"

Ever heard this phrase, "Don’t Let Your Left Hand Know What Your Right Hand Is Doing"

Great proverb, very good point! Thanks for the reminder!

• HadIt.com Elder
Pete53: "In rare cases a Veteran can have SSD for one reason and VA for another."

Pete53 and Other Members, the above statement applies to my situation. My SSD was awarded because of a stroke in April 2007. I have not recovered completely from the stroke. It left me at being a high risk for fall,right sided weakness, intermittent numbness, expressive aphasia, and nerve pain in right hand and arm.

A decision has been made on my V.A. claim however, I have not received anything official.

My claim was for DJD in neck (bi), back, hip, right shoulder, tear and cyst in rotator cuff. Bony abnormaltives were found in neck, shoulder, and back. In addition, bursitis in both hips (right mostly). My most recent diagnosis since this claim was filed is a bulging disk in c6.

All of the above are mostly (90%) problems with the right side of my body but I am now having problems with left knee and ankle because I favor that side when walking.

I don't want to rock the boat with SSA by updating my claim (if it is possible to update) but I don't want to lose my benefits after a reevaluation with SSA for stroke. What should I do...any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Smile,

Don't lose sight of the fact that SS and VA are two different organizations. SS's evaluation is can you or can you not work. VA's is service connection disability. Sometimes the two mesh but it sounds like not in your case. If you still cannot work, why inform SS. They are concerned with the stroke not the other stuff. The only time they would need to know of a change is if you get better and can work. If you were to go back to work and not let them know, that would be a big no no. Otherwise, it is just making work and stress for no reason.

fanaticbooks

Smile,

Don't lose sight of the fact that SS and VA are two different organizations. SS's evaluation is can you or can you not work. VA's is service connection disability. Sometimes the two mesh but it sounds like not in your case. If you still cannot work, why inform SS. They are concerned with the stroke not the other stuff. The only time they would need to know of a change is if you get better and can work. If you were to go back to work and not let them know, that would be a big no no. Otherwise, it is just making work and stress for no reason.

fanaticbooks

Thank you very much for your input!I was thinking about the possibility of SSA terminating my benefits, since I have improved from the stroke. I can't work because the army injury was exacerbated by the stroke and the residuals of the stroke. I hope that makes sense. By the way, I have been told often enough that I'm my own worse enemy (think that's how it goes). I will leave it alone until there is a ssa reevaluation. Thanks again!

If your SSDI claims contain your VA service-connected conditions then increasing your compensation with the VA will be much, much easier. So if you have no service-connected conditions listed in your SSDI claim, then your SSDI award will be meaningless to the VA.

Patrick

If your SSDI claims contain your VA service-connected conditions then increasing your compensation with the VA will be much, much easier. So if you have no service-connected conditions listed in your SSDI claim, then your SSDI award will be meaningless to the VA.

Patrick

Thanks for responding, Patrick.