Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Proof Of Receipt By Va

Rate this question

Ricky

Question

What is the best way to prove that VA received your claim. I have two plus my Form 9(appeal). The two claims were signed for by VARO in August 05. Now VA is claiming that they do not exist. I have the green signed returned receipts for both plus an email where they told me to fax the claims to them with the fax confirmation sheet.

However, now they are telling me that if I want to submitt a new claim then it must be in writting etc........

My biggest concern is my current appeal. The form 9 is due at the VARO on 30 March 06. I have been such a pain in their butt that I am now thinking that their stern denials of the other two claims is them simply setting me up for failure on the appeal by trying to claim it was never received. I already have the green card back but it really does not prove anything (according to VA).. Anyone else have such an experience with VA. I am sure that it is just a simple mistake as I know the helping VA would do no such harm to a vet.

Ricky

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

When I really get worried about evidence or an appeal getting to the VARO on time I hand deliver it to the regional office and get a date stamped receipt. The VA is not above losing your Form 9 or any other evidence you send to them. It happens all the time and has happened to me many times in the past. To the VA you are just a number and they could care less if you claim gets approved or denied.

Guest allanopie

Hello Ricky,

Step on enough toe's & your claim can expect the mushroom treatment, maybe for decades.

"ALWAYS", be nice. If you suffer from mental health issues as I do, DO NOT CONTACT THE VA, unless your calm & relaxed. Take your meds, vitamins, herbs, teas, before you contact them.

You can try this, In writing, request a local hearing at the VARO. You want a formal hearing. The VA will kick a letter out to you when to appear. At this hearing, you will be sworn in & provided an opertunity to submit & discus evidence, under oath. It ain't the same as talking to them over the phone. "Its in the RECORD" and recorded. By law, the VA is supposed to give consideration to what is in the RECORD.

When you appear, Be nice! It's good to take someone with you as a witness. If you have an service rep, ask them to set it up & apear with you.

I don't know how to advise you as far as, "filing a new claim" . I do know, if you can't get it resolved over the phone or paperwork, then a local hearing is the next best approach.

Hope this helps............

Guest Berta

Ricky- if you tell me what VARO I will try to find the director's name-

I had to write to my VARO director a few months ago to get the VARO to identity and clarify my claims-on paper-

I have been through this run a round many many times- in the past- with my VARO and could see that

it appeared to be happening again-

The response you get will verify what they have received.

But actually this is good evidence of their receipt:

"What is the best way to prove that VA received your claim. I have two plus my Form 9(appeal). The two claims were signed for by VARO in August 05. Now VA is claiming that they do not exist. I have the green signed returned receipts for both plus an email where they told me to fax the claims to them with the fax confirmation sheet."

When you call the 800# make sure you ask them for what is on the COVERS screen-as well as the VACOLS screen.

We have vet reps here in NY at 800- who say there is nothing on the screen at all- if you dont say it is in appeals status-

• HadIt.com Elder

You can never lose your temper with these VA types. Many are immature and unprofessional and they do hold grudges. You are dealing with people whose only real concern is their next coffee break. Don't get mad, get paid.

Also, in the future you should use a Delivery Confirmation numbered slip on the letter. Then you can print out the Postal Service's date and time of delivery from their web site. If you have the Green proof of delivery, the signed certified receipt, and the Delivery Confirmation downloaded, I think any Court would say you have met your Burden of Proof. If they continue to deny, then hand carry and have them stamp date received and get a copy of each page.

John999/Allanopie: Too late on the mad part. I got a DRO decision within 3 months. complete denial of all issues. SOC only listed half of the evidence in the file. Even at listing only half of the evidence all of it supported the claim. The SOC was written like this : During recent rating decision your claim was denied for lack of recent and active process. During the DRO process it was determined that claim was still denied Specifically due to a lack of active process. Nothing else. No rhyme or reason. The incorrect use of the english language and proper grammar only made it worse. Sorry but I did feel that I needed to tell them how to do their job AND I DID. If it cost me a couple of years then I guess that is what I deserve but I sure do feel better. I was quite until I emailed them and asked about the status of the DRO hearing that I requested. There reply to me that although I had sent in a written request I must submit a VA Form 9 requesting a local DRO hearing etc.........................that is when I went off the deeeeeep end.

Ricky

Ad for new recruits:

"Want a free medical and legal education? Simply file a disability claim with the Department of Veterans Affairs after you military service! It is all free. Want to be a heart surgeon? a neurologist? A top notch attorney with unlimited knowledge of the U.S. Code? No Problem! No GI Bill required." The VA will ensure that you receive all the training necessary.

Sorry but I am still off into the deep end.