Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question About Voc Rehab

Rate this question

jessie0054

Question

My son is service connected 70%. several months ago he applied for Voc Rehab but was told by his counselor that if he wasn't let go by his last employer for his health reasons [ Back condition with disk fusion 2 levels and Polycythemia Vera, A blood Cancer] then he couldn't get Voc Rehab!!

I just spent the last week with him and my grandson there in SC and i was horrified about the way he looks physically.

He was laided off from his job in December right before Christmas and after the first of the year the company he worked for folded and went out of business. He has been getting by with trying to work at a day labor job but it is physically draining him.

Did the counselor tell him correctly??

I need to find a way to help him. He has an appointment coming up for his monthly blood draw at the VA and he said he simply can't go because if he misses one day on the day labor ticket he is out of work until they again have an opening on the ticket. If he dosen't get his blood drawn then his blood level gets to high.

Any suggestions??

Thanks,

Jessie

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

From the VONAPP website:

VA Form 28-1900

VOCATIONAL REHABILITATION FOR SERVICE-DISABLED VETERANS

EVALUATION: If you have a VA combined service-connected disability rating of 10 percent or more and you apply for vocational rehabilitation, we will schedule you for a comprehensive evaluation. As a first step during this evaluation interview, a counselor will work with you to answer three questions. For you to receive rehabilitation services and assistance under this program, the answers to all three questions must be "yes."

1. Do you meet the basic entitlement requirements in the next paragraph?

2. If you meet these requirements, is it reasonable to expect you to be able to reach an employment or independent living goal?

3. Are you within the time limit for receiving this benefit? (This is generally 12 years from the date VA notified you that you had at least 10% service-connected disability.)

BASIC ENTITLEMENT REQUIREMENTS:

If the VA rates your service-connected conditions at least, and a VA counselor finds that you need rehabilitation to overcome, then you may receive a program of needed:

You are a veteran or a service member awaiting a disability discharge:

20 percent disabling; An employment handicap*; Vocational rehabilitation services and assistance.

You are a veteran:

10 percent disabling; A serious employment handicap*; Vocational rehabilitation services and assistance.

20 percent disabling; A serious employment handicap*; Independent living services and assistance.

* An employment handicap means that you have difficulty in getting or holding a job that is suitable for your aptitudes, interests, and abilities, and is compatible with your disabilities. Your difficulty in getting and keeping a job must result in substantial part from your service-connected disability. A serious employment handicap means that this difficulty greatly limits your ability to get or hold a suitable job.

PLANNING AND COUNSELING: Your counselor must first determine that you meet the entitlement requirements and an employment or independent living goal is reasonably feasible. Then your counselor will help you develop a plan of services and assistance to assist you to reach your employment or independent living goal. Counseling will be available throughout your program to help you with problems that may arise. We will set up evaluation and counseling meetings at times convenient for you. We will pay your travel expenses to and from these meetings.

REHABILITATION SERVICES: Not all vocational rehabilitation programs involve training. You may only need employment services to help you get a suitable job. If a VA counselor determines that you need training to reach your vocational goal, your VA counselor will also determine the number of months of training you need. You may train in a vocational school, a special rehabilitation facility, an apprenticeship program, other on-job training position, a college, or a university. While you train, VA will provide the medical and dental care and treatment, employment assistance to get and keep a job, and other services you need. If a vocational goal is not currently feasible for you, VA may provide services and assistance to improve your capacity for independent living.

SUPPORT: VA may pay for tuition, fees, books, equipment, tools, or other supplies you need to succeed in your program. While training and for two months after you complete training and are looking for employment, you will receive a subsistence allowance to help you meet your living expenses. The allowance you receive depends on your type of training, rate of attendance, and number of dependents. You will receive this allowance in addition to any VA compensation or military retired pay you may receive.

Hope this helps,

Louis

Edited by Bonzai

Boon doc and Pete53 have great thoughts.

I was approved then denied years ago, let it slide for years til last year. Really hurtin, applied online VONAPP went thru process and finally was approved while working but work and back+hip pain not a good mix-my primary doc had to make a staement that I was missiing work due to constant an severe pain in back+hip consistently for years, even showed MRI from VA hospital with damage. Either have son apply online or maybe get an appointment with an inperson rep to help you from DAV, AMVETS, State Vets office or another. Voc Rehab will test him to see if he qualifies- mentally,emotionally,physicially,psychologically- like I was. If then after he is denied on paper then follow the advice from Boon n Pete and put papers in for for 100% disab tdiu ? i think? dont quote me on that one.

You have come to the right place to ask for advice, now show your son that this is the right thing for him to do for himself. He's earned it to live a better quality of life for him and his family. To educate and provide a veteran with the capability of life improvement in educational, medical care, financial, emotional stability and to feel just like a contributing member of society in a positive way. It really is here for people like him for people like me,I know it, I'm in it.

Thanks Aquabear!

I think he went through all the testing several months ago, But he felt that his counsel wasn't working with him. Everytime he brought up something that he was interested in she told him " i don't see that as an option with your disabilities and background" She also told him to go home and think about it and let her know of anything else he might could do"

A couple months later he got a letter stating they were closing his case and he could reapply again in Oct 09.

Yep and his Service rep wasn't helpful either and infact my son thought he was very rude and refused to go back to see him again. He ask my son what he wanted to go and he told him he wanted to apply for the TDIU and the rep ask him " On what grounds"

My son walked out.

Maybe when he can reapply again in Oct he will have a more helpful Counsel, I don't know but i'm telling him to apply online!!

Thanks Jessie

Jessie,

Here's a thought.

Why don't you suggest to him that He should apply for voc rehab online, then if after testing He is found ineligable for the voc rehab, due to His SC disabilities, get a copy of the Voc rehab records and then apply for an increase and ask for TDIU T&P.

BoonDoc

Thanks BoonDoc!!

Thats what i'm going to suggest to him!

Jessie

Voc rehab can and does turn down Veterans that they Judge as unemployable. The do offer Independent Living assistence if they do not award Voc Rehab.

I think he should apply and see what happens.

Why not ask for TDIU?

Thanks Pete53:

I wished he lived closer, He's over 1000 miles away, i could keep a better handle on whats going on and better able to give him advice.

I noticed when i was there that he didn't have some of the medications he was to be taking. One was for his GERD. I ask him about it and he said that the last 3 times he tried to order it he never recieved it. He has been without this medication for 9 months and is buying over the counter meds to treat it.

Another thing is that he hasn't gotten to see his PCP in over a year and a half and has only spoken to his Heme Dr breifly in the hallway to pin him down for a written order for the standing monthly phelbotomy for when his Red Blood count is at 42 or over.

When he was diagnosed with the other rare cancer Signet Ring Cell Cancer of the Appendix [ outside the Va and treated outside the VA for this] He was told that he has to have a bone scan every 6 months, A CEA level done and a colonosope every 6 months since this is such a rare and agressive cancer with a 95% chance of returning. Yet he still hasn't been seen by an Oncologist since he started with the VA care in 2005.

To get an appointment he is surposed to go through a VA clinic which is over a 100 miles from the VAMC, He has somehow fallen through the crack with his care and i need advice on how to get it fixed and get him back on schedule with his Care.

Thanks for letting me vent here!!!

Jessie

Thanks Aquabear!

I think he went through all the testing several months ago, But he felt that his counsel wasn't working with him. Everytime he brought up something that he was interested in she told him " i don't see that as an option with your disabilities and background" She also told him to go home and think about it and let her know of anything else he might could do"

A couple months later he got a letter stating they were closing his case and he could reapply again in Oct 09.

Yep and his Service rep wasn't helpful either and infact my son thought he was very rude and refused to go back to see him again. He ask my son what he wanted to go and he told him he wanted to apply for the TDIU and the rep ask him " On what grounds"

My son walked out.

Maybe when he can reapply again in Oct he will have a more helpful Counsel, I don't know but i'm telling him to apply online!!

Thanks Jessie

Jesse,

I had the same problem with reps. OH man the same exact thing.

After my testing and approval, my OLD counselor said all my job/college educational choices were not compatable with my abilities. I worked with some computers but knew that was not what I wanted to do- she may want me there but not my heart or brain. I felt I was being talked down to, she was not sympathetic toward my goals/dreams/disabilities, we had no rapport whatsoever. I got in my first semester and got a 3.8gpa and showed them all I could excel at anything I did. Still I got negativity. I requested a new rep to handle my case and had to do it 3 times even go to her boss via email/letters and said to him twice if he denies me then he would be responsible for what occurs- not meaning I am going postal just my relationship with my rep is unjust to keep us together- I would get stressed out almost small panic attacks in just dealing with my old rep.

Yes def have him reapply. This is a great program but there are some hurdles VA makes you go thru.

Finally, after the multiple emails/letters I have a new rep, she is a breath of fresh air, relates to me, keeps it real, is willing to listen and help even offered other options I didn't think of. I look at Voc Rehab it a totally different light much warmer and helpful.

Ask for a new rep for your son or have him ask. He may have to do it more than once, I sent 5 emails/letters until I finally got what I want. It paid off 10 fold. It frustrating to do but do it- you have to be determined cause more than likely the first time they will deny the request- hey its what the VA always does deny deny may approve but you have to do it multiple times- it aint easy- if you need help with letter PM me I'll give you what I got. I feel the pain he and you go thru.

ALso, he can start in one program in college to get going then transfer to another. Many vets do it, VA dosen't like it but it is done. I am doing exactly that switched from computers to Natural Biology teacher- I get to do my dream of marine/natural sciences but yet the VA gets happy cause they are ok with teaching.

I'm going in for spinal shots but Let me know and I'll get back to you as soon as I can

Aquabear