VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question About Voc Rehab

Rate this question

jessie0054

Question

My son is service connected 70%. several months ago he applied for Voc Rehab but was told by his counselor that if he wasn't let go by his last employer for his health reasons [ Back condition with disk fusion 2 levels and Polycythemia Vera, A blood Cancer] then he couldn't get Voc Rehab!!

I just spent the last week with him and my grandson there in SC and i was horrified about the way he looks physically.

He was laided off from his job in December right before Christmas and after the first of the year the company he worked for folded and went out of business. He has been getting by with trying to work at a day labor job but it is physically draining him.

Did the counselor tell him correctly??

I need to find a way to help him. He has an appointment coming up for his monthly blood draw at the VA and he said he simply can't go because if he misses one day on the day labor ticket he is out of work until they again have an opening on the ticket. If he dosen't get his blood drawn then his blood level gets to high.

Any suggestions??

Thanks,

Jessie

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Anything the VA "tells" you can be considered false. They cannot be held accountable to anything "told." He needs to apply for Voc Rehab services, in writing. All correspondence "must" be written!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are required to offer him services w/a 70% rating. You need to stay on top of this! They need to test him.

pr

My son is service connected 70%. several months ago he applied for Voc Rehab but was told by his counselor that if he wasn't let go by his last employer for his health reasons [ Back condition with disk fusion 2 levels and Polycythemia Vera, A blood Cancer] then he couldn't get Voc Rehab!!

I just spent the last week with him and my grandson there in SC and i was horrified about the way he looks physically.

He was laided off from his job in December right before Christmas and after the first of the year the company he worked for folded and went out of business. He has been getting by with trying to work at a day labor job but it is physically draining him.

I need to find a way to help him. He has an appointment coming up for his monthly blood draw at the VA and he said he simply can't go because if he misses one day on the day labor ticket he is out of work until they again have an opening on the ticket. If he dosen't get his blood drawn then his blood level gets to high.

Any suggestions??

Thanks,

Jessie

Any suggestions??

Thanks,

Jessie

With the brief description you gave of his health, why doesn't he apply for 100% TDIU. He certainly could qualify for it and it might be in his best interests, health wise.

Good luck,

Bergie

Anything the VA "tells" you can be considered false. They cannot be held accountable to anything "told." He needs to apply for Voc Rehab services, in writing. All correspondence "must" be written!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are required to offer him services w/a 70% rating. You need to stay on top of this! They need to test him.

pr

Thanks pr:

So they are required to offer him Voc Rehab no matter what his employment status is. I don't want to tell him wrong and get his hopes up again to get the rug pulled out from under him again.

Jessie

Jessie,

Here's a thought.

Why don't you suggest to him that He should apply for voc rehab online, then if after testing He is found ineligable for the voc rehab, due to His SC disabilities, get a copy of the Voc rehab records and then apply for an increase and ask for TDIU T&P.

BoonDoc

• HadIt.com Elder

Voc rehab can and does turn down Veterans that they Judge as unemployable. The do offer Independent Living assistence if they do not award Voc Rehab.

I think he should apply and see what happens.

Why not ask for TDIU?

Boon doc and Pete53 have great thoughts.

I was approved then denied years ago, let it slide for years til last year. Really hurtin, applied online VONAPP went thru process and finally was approved while working but work and back+hip pain not a good mix-my primary doc had to make a staement that I was missiing work due to constant an severe pain in back+hip consistently for years, even showed MRI from VA hospital with damage. Either have son apply online or maybe get an appointment with an inperson rep to help you from DAV, AMVETS, State Vets office or another. Voc Rehab will test him to see if he qualifies- mentally,emotionally,physicially,psychologically- like I was. If then after he is denied on paper then follow the advice from Boon n Pete and put papers in for for 100% disab tdiu ? i think? dont quote me on that one.

You have come to the right place to ask for advice, now show your son that this is the right thing for him to do for himself. He's earned it to live a better quality of life for him and his family. To educate and provide a veteran with the capability of life improvement in educational, medical care, financial, emotional stability and to feel just like a contributing member of society in a positive way. It really is here for people like him for people like me,I know it, I'm in it.