Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question About Voc Rehab

Rate this question

jessie0054

Question

My son is service connected 70%. several months ago he applied for Voc Rehab but was told by his counselor that if he wasn't let go by his last employer for his health reasons [ Back condition with disk fusion 2 levels and Polycythemia Vera, A blood Cancer] then he couldn't get Voc Rehab!!

I just spent the last week with him and my grandson there in SC and i was horrified about the way he looks physically.

He was laided off from his job in December right before Christmas and after the first of the year the company he worked for folded and went out of business. He has been getting by with trying to work at a day labor job but it is physically draining him.

Did the counselor tell him correctly??

I need to find a way to help him. He has an appointment coming up for his monthly blood draw at the VA and he said he simply can't go because if he misses one day on the day labor ticket he is out of work until they again have an opening on the ticket. If he dosen't get his blood drawn then his blood level gets to high.

Any suggestions??

Thanks,

Jessie

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

My son is service connected 70%. several months ago he applied for Voc Rehab but was told by his counselor that if he wasn't let go by his last employer for his health reasons [ Back condition with disk fusion 2 levels and Polycythemia Vera, A blood Cancer] then he couldn't get Voc Rehab!!

I just spent the last week with him and my grandson there in SC and i was horrified about the way he looks physically.

He was laided off from his job in December right before Christmas and after the first of the year the company he worked for folded and went out of business. He has been getting by with trying to work at a day labor job but it is physically draining him.

Did the counselor tell him correctly??

I need to find a way to help him. He has an appointment coming up for his monthly blood draw at the VA and he said he simply can't go because if he misses one day on the day labor ticket he is out of work until they again have an opening on the ticket. If he dosen't get his blood drawn then his blood level gets to high.

Any suggestions??

Thanks,

Jessie

Jessie... I am not sure how it is where you live but I am living in Ocean County NJ. Here at the county offices they have a person who actually works for the VA and is a US Govt employee who will submit the paperwork for you. I quit my job that I was working in Ireland to relocate back to the US and she happily did the paperwork for me, and in the mean time went back to work before I had my appointment with the VA so I was lucky that I did not need it.<br><br>

As far as I know, the only req. for Voc Rehab is that you have to be 30%, and I am not 100% sure about that.

<br><br>I wish him luck... and don't ever take no for an answer...

Jessie... I am not sure how it is where you live but I am living in Ocean County NJ. Here at the county offices they have a person who actually works for the VA and is a US Govt employee who will submit the paperwork for you. I quit my job that I was working in Ireland to relocate back to the US and she happily did the paperwork for me, and in the mean time went back to work before I had my appointment with the VA so I was lucky that I did not need it.<br><br>

As far as I know, the only req. for Voc Rehab is that you have to be 30%, and I am not 100% sure about that.

<br><br>I wish him luck... and don't ever take no for an answer...

Rules changed- no longer 30%, can go down to 10%- thats me - but must pose an employment handicap- thats how I got approved

Obviously they have changed the minimum qualification. I stated in anotgher post that it was 20%... obviously in error. I apologize, but as I stated at the time, I have been out of the loop for a bit and some things have changed. In any case... I guess it is a bit "luck of the draw" when you get your councilor. Mine was great so just keep trying. Also please remember that the Voc Rehab people are not VA claims reps, and if someone wants to file for TDIU they should talk a claims rep and not an education person.

Sometime it is hard to match what we want to do with what we can do. I also would suggest perhaps the ILS program. It is really great and I have first hand experience with it. It is focused on helping the vet live a more normal life and connect with their community etc. They provide the necessary things for this. Computers, recliners, beds etc.

I would suggest you call your local VAMC patient advocate in reference to the medical issues. They can handle this type of problem and do all the time. Just call your local VAMC and ask for the patient advocate and explain to him or her what the problem is. Also you might want to submit his civilian medical records to the VA for inclusion into his file.

Bob Smith

I have dealt with Voc Rehab. It is just like other parts of the VA. Bottom line is they apply the rules inconsistently. VA regional Offices are famous for this..why do you think the average rate of disability compensation is higher in some states than others? Although this is not fair, its the VA way. If you dont think so, read this:

http://blog.cleveland.com/openers/2008/04/...k_vasil_of.html

Time after time, when dealing with the government, I have found that if you call and talk to a government worker, and he says no, call back another day, and you will get another government worker who will tell you yes.

So, try applying online with Vonap..you will get another government worker and he will likely give you a different answer than the first one.

Edited by broncovet