Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Study Results

Rate this question

pacmanx1

Question

I am not sure where to post this because I have not filed a claim. I recently requested a sleep study from mental health and they sent me one. I used the machine for three nights and sent it back to be reviewed. I had to go to VA today and I asked was it completed and I was told that it was so I got a copy. It states "Finding are consistent with mild, non-positional obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) Mild, non-positional, symptomatic OSA with comorbidities. Treatment of choice in this case is CPAP" Now I have to find out how and where do I go to get a CPAP machine.

Edited by pacmanx1

My intentions are to help, my advice maybe wrong, be your own advocate and know what is in your C-File and the 38 CFR that governs your disabilities and conditions.

Do your own homework. No one knows the veteran’s symptoms like the veteran. Never Give Up.

I do not give my consent for anyone to view my personal VA records.

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Teac, I could not agree with NK more. You are really gambling with your life. There are many different mask, and other equipment.

Papa

i got my first cpap machine after referral from a military hospital, as a retiree, i was getting primary care for, pre-va. they sent me to an off-base hospital and i had an overnight sleep study which confirmed i had obstructive sleep apnea.

fast forward, a couple of years and i'm service connected for sleep apnea through va and the vamc sends me to the VERY SAME civilian hospital for another sleep study (same room even) and this time i didn't have to copay for the machine. i think once you pay a certain amount, if you don't get it from va, it's yours to keep.

i was going to teal teac the same thing. my wife is going for a sleep study, too, at my insistence. she is very quiet and then will SNORT! awake, hey, her heart is STOPPING probably about 30 times an hour!!!! it's brief but can do damage.

the main acronym words for cpap is something like continuous pressure airway p(?).. it's kind of neat how it fills your lungs up and is sensitive to your breathing, according to your personal setting, mine is 12. i think it goes up to 20.

doctors will tell you to lose the weight, and that is the best choice for possibly getting off a cpap, but for cryin out loud, if you need one, GET ONE!!!

out_here04

oh, and the big thing about cpap is if you are "waking up" so many times an hour, they measure that, then you never enter REM (rapid eye movement) sleep. when you wake up in the morning you are tired as hell and probably nod off at the tv or reading, that's all part of the screening questioning, too.

with cpap, you wake up at least with as good a night's sleep as possibe to deal with whatever life throws your way.

i had a buddy who was getting out of the military and doing his va claims and he said he had been rated 50 percent for sleep apnea. i forgot about it but a few years later, when here at hadit, i remembered that and copied accounts in my service medical records of whenever i complained of "lethargy, snoring at night, etc". my claims seem to merge over each other (anxiety/depression/ptsd/sleep apnea/possible mild tbi) but at least i can do something about one of them on a nightly basis.

out_here04

also, my earlier comment about wife's heart "stopping" 30 times an hour, thinking about it i don't think that's an accurate assessment. i think the sleep test will find, if you have sleep apnea you WAKE UP about 30 times an hour or something like that. just trying to clarify, maybe someone else remembers the details.

out_here04

I have a CPAP machine used in for one week could not get used to the mask.,.. that was six months ago will never use it again..

I have to agree with the others... There is a full face and a nasal mask... I currently use the nasal mask and find it works well for me... But it is worth it...

As to those on CPAP... How often do you get replacement masks... I find I need a new mask about every six month... Although the last one needed an early replacement thats to my new puppy chewing the gel pad that goes to my forehead...