Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Caution: Possible Triggers:

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

I have a son who just got to Iraq about 3 weeks ago. I think he is way, way, way, to green to be in the war. He just joined the Army in October, and now he is in Iraq.

This is the email I got this morning:

"Yesterday, 2 September 2009, our brigade suffered two deaths as a result

of a non-hostile accident. This accident involved the battalion to

which your loved one is assigned. Each Soldier's Next of Kin has been

notified, and we expect public release of the Soldiers' names to follow

soon. We are actively planning a memorial service in coordination with

the forward command. As details are confirmed, we will provide you

additional information. I will also provide you a copy of the official

news release when it is released by the Department of Defense. Our

thoughts and prayers are with you at this difficult time."

If "next of kin" has been notified, then I guess that is not my son, as I have not been notified. Still, I am pretty stressed about this. I am not blaming the messenger.

I have both a son and a son in law in Iraq right now.

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Thank you Clark, for your generous offers to send cookies and a belt to my son in Iraq. Not all deployed troops get regular "care packages" from family and friends like my son, so they are more deserving of your cookies and such. You can even "adopt" a deployed troop, here:

http://www.soldiersangels.org/

Presently, there are 1,311 heroes (deployed troops) waiting adoption.

Edited by broncovet

I am a nervous wreck. 4 more soldiers killed today in Iraq. Altho I am pretty sure my son was not one of them, I am afraid to answer the phone that it will be them, telling me he was one of them. Of course, one of them could also be my son in law, who is in Iraq, but is supposed to come home in 3 weeks. I had to tell someone.......

I just ordered my son an ammo belt, because the one I sent him earlier may not have been the right one according to a friend of mine who is an expert with military weapons.

I just cant beleive that my son does not have the equipment he needs for war, and that he, or in this case I, have to pay for an ammo belt. Something is seriously wrong with our country when troops are required to pay for their own war equipment, and I have to order that stuff online. He cant even order it..he has only extremely limited internet access.

I am lucky to get an email from him once a week...

Carlie

My son seems to think an ammo belt is "personal" equipment..that is required to be purchased by troops. He also buys his uniform and stuff. When I was in, we were supplied our first uniforms, and I seem to remember getting a few bucks every year or so to buy new uniforms when they are needed.

I went to that website you suggested where soldiers were not gettting the equipment they needed. I still am thinking of going to the media with this, but I dont want it to be "bad" for my son.

Thanks..

Bronco