VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Disability Rating (sc)...do You Have To Disclose To Employer?

Rate this question

MDB1968NM

Question

Hi everyone,

If this is not the right area then Mods please move this.

If someone is applying for a job after military retirement and they are disabled (SC), does that have to be disclosed to the employer?  The reason I ask is that many govt jobs ask if you are applying for preference.  Would the employer need to know what your disabilities are, OR, would they just have to know your rating percentage if that?

I would think that some employers might hold having a disability against the potential job seeker in certain instances.  Has anyone had any direct experience with this?

Thanks for the information in advance!

;)

• Answers 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

IMO what posters are missing here is that this specific employment

falls under Homeland Security.

IMO, any applicant for employment under this agency will/should be

be doing a thorough back ground investigation.

If there are any discrepancies found, between the information attested to on the

application and the investigation findings - this surely leaves warranted question

as to the truthfulness capabilities of the applicant, that would reflect negatively

as to the applicants level of "good moral character" by legal standards.

I have to side with carlie with one other thing besides Homeland Security employment, which I think she hit on a very good point. I'm also an ex Fed. of 31 years, and I'll never forget one episode when a new hire was released from his job. when he filled out his application for hire he didn't expose the fact he was busted on a misdemeanor for possession of a joint. Since it wasn't a Felony, he would of been ok if he told them. Just like your case, he didn't lie, he just didn't disclose it. Everyone who is/has worked for the Feds know they have to be investigated thru the FBI. Thats another reason a new employee starts out on a 1 year probation. JMO

I am currently a fed employee..with the DOJ 3 years.. background cleared.. didn't apply as a dis able vet nor do they know.. its none of.there business..

Criminal back ground investigstions are very different..

Can they investigate your medical history? Isn't that confidential? If you don't disclose how.would they know anything bout your medical history? Do they start cold calling hospitals to see if you were a patient there? If you don't list the hospitals you been too or the injuries.. how can they find out..

I have to side with carlie with one other thing besides Homeland Security employment, which I think she hit on a very good point. I'm also an ex Fed. of 31 years, and I'll never forget one episode when a new hire was released from his job. when he filled out his application for hire he didn't expose the fact he was busted on a misdemeanor for possession of a joint. Since it wasn't a Felony, he would of been ok if he told them. Just like your case, he didn't lie, he just didn't disclose it. Everyone who is/has worked for the Feds know they have to be investigated thru the FBI. Thats another reason a new employee starts out on a 1 year probation. JMO

On the pre employment medical.form.. it.asks you to list all the hospitals you've been to. The dates, injuries.. etc.. if you don't list anything.. how.can they find out.. where would they look?

Plus they do there own physical anyway.. which I passed easily last time..

IMO what posters are missing here is that this specific employment

falls under Homeland Security.

• HadIt.com Elder

I think if you hide the fact you are a disabled vet and they find out you lied you may be fired later. Why do you want to work in an organization that is going to hold your service connected disability against you? I worked for the feds. One long time employee was investigated because he did not tell them on his employment form that he once was referred for a workers compensation claim. He never missed a day of work, but they fired him and he had to fight for six months to get his job back. If you ever get hurt on the job and make a claim the feds will find out about your service connected disability.

It's not that I want to hide I'm a disabled vet.. I just don't want to give them my medical records.. one of the forms asks you to bring in any medical records you have..(if you have) lists the hospitals injuries etc.. I don't want to give.them any or any info.. they do there own physical and I can pass it easy.. I don't see.how they look into my records.. unless I tell them..

Edited by Rshen1