Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Submiting Claim

Rate this question

Rich W

Question

I am getting ready to send in my claim. I just want to make sure I'm doing everything to make it as easy for the VA as possible. I am filling out a 21-4138 stating what I am claiming. I was then going to provide a letter giving a little more background to my current problems listing them out (just a brief paragraph 5-6 lines) number them 1, 2, etc. Under each item I am going to list the date and location each time I was seen for the disability in my SMR and also after service up to current. I am also going to highlight in my SMRs and private medical records the items relating to my disabilities. I have all the medical records and am providing them to the VA so they don't have to get them. Does this sound like a good idea. Do most people highlight stuff. I just thought it would be easier. I know it can be difficult going th 30-40 pages of medical records to find the pertinent information.

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I think that you are "on the right track".

If this is your first claim, you will need to fill out a form #21-526. You only have to fill this form out the first time (It is considered THE Formal Claim Form). Afterwards you can send in more claims simply by using the Form 21-4138 and no longer do you have to file a "formal claim" (the 21-526 has a lot of info on it that allows the VA to determine, for example, your dependents, etc., and once they have that in their system then you don't need to do it again.).

I would also add a copy of my DD214 or you'll wind up waiting for THEM to get around to getting it (bad move on your part).

Get on the National Archives site and follow the instructions for obtaining your DD214, if you haven't it in your possession (good move on your part).

Thanks for all the tips. This is not my first claim. So I should provide a copy of my DD214 even though I send them one with my first claim with the 21-526. I heard about a certified copy. Do I need to send them a certified copy or will a photocopy of my original DD214 suffice?