Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Copying & Saving Cavc Or Fed Circuit Cases In Microsoft Word On Your Computer

Rate this question

deltaj

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Berta made a good explanation in the post below this explaining how to find cases at CAVC (The U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claim.) If you have found an important CAVC decision or a federal circuit decision and you want to save it in Microsoft Word here is one way to do that:

(1) Open the CAVC or federal circuit case on your screen.

(2) Go to the top of the document.

(3) At the top of the document left click your mouse and highlight the document all the way to the end. While doing this process keep pulling down even if you come to a blank page because sometimes there are blank pages in the decision.

(4) When you are certain that you are all the way at the bottom of the decision and the entire document is colored blue hit release the left button on your mouse and then hit Ctrl on your keyboard and the letter c at the same time. Now the material is on the copyboard internally on your computer.

(5) Look over at that little Microsoft flag at the left bottom corner of your screen and slide your cursor over there.

(6) Left click on the little Microsoft flag and slide your cursor up the menu to Microsoft Word. (My computer at this point says Microsoft Word 2007.)

(7) Click on Microsoft Word 2007 to open a blank document. (Your computer may something different than this if you have a different year of Microsoft Word.)

(8) When you have your blank document open position your cursor at the left top of the document and left click there so the cursor is flashing.

(9) Hit Ctrl and the letter v at the same time and the entire case you copied should appear on your new document.

(10) After the text appears in the new document slide your cursor using your mouse across your computer screen to the Microsoft flag which is at the left top corner of your screen and left click on that Microsoft flag.

(11) With the left key of your mouse still down, scroll down the menu to highlight Save as and then a box will appear with the name CAVC has given.

(12) Name your case so you can save it. CAVC always seems to give the case incomplete names and so will the Federal Circuit so when I save the document on my computer I name the case after the full first and last names of the appellant and respondent like JamesStoutVAnthonyPrincipi. (Notice in this example of title I capitalized the V for versus, normally that v isn't capitalized but I try not to confuse myself on the names of the parties since some names end in vowels.) I use the full first and last names because there are many cases at CAVC where veterans have the same last names.

Make sure that in your name of the document you use the abbreviation fedcircuit after the names of the parties in the federal circuit case because otherwise if you copy a fed circuit case with the same name as a CAVC case you already have on your computer the CAVC case with the same name will be eliminated by your computer when you click on save.

(13) After naming your document move your mouse to the blue box save and left click there.

(14) After I close the newly saved document, as a final check I always go back to documents on my menu, open the document I just saved, and scroll down the document reviewing it to make sure it is complete.

Edited by deltaj

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I am not very computer savy so you lost me along the way...I just go to page and scroll down to save as and type in how I want to save it, or the word/words...and just save it on my computer, so have been able to get it to work for me. <_<

Berta made a good explanation in the post below this explaining how to find cases at CAVC (The U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claim.) If you have found an important CAVC decision or a federal circuit decision and you want to save it in Microsoft Word here is one way to do that:

(1) Open the CAVC or federal circuit case on your screen.

(2) Go to the top of the document.

(3) At the top of the document left click your mouse and highlight the document all the way to the end. While doing this process keep pulling down even if you come to a blank page because sometimes there are blank pages in the decision.

(4) When you are certain that you are all the way at the bottom of the decision and the entire document is colored blue hit release the left button on your mouse and then hit Ctrl on your keyboard and the letter c at the same time. Now the material is on the copyboard internally on your computer.

(5) Look over at that little Microsoft flag at the left bottom corner of your screen and slide your cursor over there.

(6) Left click on the little Microsoft flag and slide your cursor up the menu to Microsoft Word. (My computer at this point says Microsoft Word 2007.)

(7) Click on Microsoft Word 2007 to open a blank document. (Your computer may something different than this if you have a different year of Microsoft Word.)

(8) When you have your blank document open position your cursor at the left top of the document and left click there so the cursor is flashing.

(9) Hit Ctrl and the letter v at the same time and the entire case you copied should appear on your new document.

(10) After the text appears in the new document slide your cursor using your mouse across your computer screen to the Microsoft flag which is at the left top corner of your screen and left click on that Microsoft flag.

(11) With the left key of your mouse still down, scroll down the menu to highlight Save as and then a box will appear with the name CAVC has given.

(12) Name your case so you can save it. CAVC always seems to give the case incomplete names and so will the Federal Circuit so when I save the document on my computer I name the case after the full first and last names of the appellant and respondent like JamesStoutVAnthonyPrincipi. (Notice in this example of title I capitalized the V for versus, normally that v isn't capitalized but I try not to confuse myself on the names of the parties since some names end in vowels.) I use the full first and last names because there are many cases at CAVC where veterans have the same last names.

Make sure that in your name of the document you use the abbreviation fedcircuit after the names of the parties in the federal circuit case because otherwise if you copy a fed circuit case with the same name as a CAVC case you already have on your computer the CAVC case with the same name will be eliminated by your computer when you click on save.

(13) After naming your document move your mouse to the blue box save and left click there.

(14) After I close the newly saved document, as a final check I always go back to documents on my menu, open the document I just saved, and scroll down the document reviewing it to make sure it is complete.

I will try to shorten these instructions on how to copy and paste:

1. Highlight information you want to copy. (If you want to copy everything, go to Edit, then select all or hit "Ctrl and A" at the same time.)

2. Hit "CTRL and C" at the same time. (Or, go to Edit, then select Copy at the upper left of your screen)

3. Go to the place you want it copied TO, such as create a new notepad, Word, or open office document.

4. Click mouse to exact location you want information copied to.

5. Hit "Ctrl and V" at the same time (Or, go to Edit, then select Paste)

Remember, you first tell the computer What information you want to copy, then you tell it to copy it, then you show it where to paste it, and finally, you paste it. It must be done in this order. The same instructions, as above, work with "print screen" on your keyboard, and work with everything you see on the screen.

Edited by broncovet

• HadIt.com Elder

Mike Harris taught Berta most everything she knows about copy and paste. It is a vital skill that all who have claims need.

Thanks to all who are helping Members who do not know how to do it.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

• HadIt.com Elder
I will try to shorten these instructions on how to copy and paste:

1. Highlight information you want to copy. (If you want to copy everything, go to Edit, then select all or hit "Ctrl and A" at the same time.)

2. Hit "CTRL and C" at the same time. (Or, go to Edit, then select Copy at the upper left of your screen)

3. Go to the place you want it copied TO, such as create a new notepad, Word, or open office document.

4. Click mouse to exact location you want information copied to.

5. Hit "Ctrl and V" at the same time (Or, go to Edit, then select Paste)

Remember, you first tell the computer What information you want to copy, then you tell it to copy it, then you show it where to paste it, and finally, you paste it. It must be done in this order. The same instructions, as above, work with "print screen" on your keyboard, and work with everything you see on the screen.

Broncovet, Thank you for the shortcutted version. Control A will highlight the entire document but does it work if V.A. has slipped an empty page in a document? I don't know this and this is one of the reasons I manually pull down the document using my mouse with the left button depressed and highlight all the text all the way to the bottom.

• HadIt.com Elder
Broncovet, Thank you for the shortcutted version. Control A will highlight the entire document but does it work if V.A. has slipped an empty page in a document? I don't know this and this is one of the reasons I manually pull down the document using my mouse with the left button depressed and highlight all the text all the way to the bottom.

Also could you please explain how to find the edit feature on Word? I own 2 books on Word 2007 but for the benefit of everyone here you could explain how to access this. Are we all having fun yet? I'm not really fond of this technical computer stuff but it's necessary for waging war with V.A.