Dav

Rate this question

sbrewer

Question

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

If the DAV drives you crazy, can it be service connected? : )

Hi all, I am Sbrewers husband, and here is my story....

I contacted the DAV via their website to ask if they were acting on the Technetium recall. They had a SO for the State office call me. Man I was impressed, he was a real "go getter", and sounded very knowledgeable. I went to the DAV State office, and was told I could not meet with the SO I had spoken to, but would have to speak to another SO baised on my last name. I spoke to SO #2, and got the impression that he would rather have been somewhere else. He showed NO desire to assist me. He looked up my case number, and found that years ago I had assigned the American Legion as my POA. Will that got him off the hook! He sent me down the hall to the American Legion. Well they were about as excited as the DAV SO #2! They asked, "What are you doing here? You should see your local SO before coming to the State office!" Well I felt about 2 inches tall. I called the local American Legion and made an appointment to see their SO. The appointment, as my dear wife pointed out, was made for McDonalds. I felt very odd talking about my Service Connected Disability in such a public place. Oh well, the SO didn't want to spend much time on that any way. Instead he insisted on talking about his church, and insisted I attend it next Sunday. I tried to get the conversation back to my medical case, and he would direct it back to attending his church. After another attempt to discuss my case, he finally said, "I've got another appointment coming in, call me if you need anything." So, I went out to my car, and waited 5 minutes, watching him at the empty table. No one else came in. I called the DAV office again, asking to speak to SO #1. The receptionist said he was with a customer. I asked to leave a message, and she insisted on my SS #. I gave it to her, and she said "Oh, the American Legion is your POA, you will have to talk to them." I said, "I can't leave SO #1 a message? " and she said "No". WELL!!! I was able to locate SO #1's email address, and sent him all the above information and asked that he call me. I sent it with delivery receipt and read receipt turned on. He read it at 1:57 but never called me, nor returned the e-mail message.

There ought to be somewhere a Vet can take @%*^ like this and DEMAND GOOD SERVICE. Any ideas?

Is there a department in the Senate or Congress that over sees these activities? I'm about ready to give up and blow my brains out! HELP!

At the DAV office I'm affiliated with your were assigned by your last Initial to a service officer . The DAV has the best trained service officers ,but there are lazy ones in every situations . They are by far the most overworked. Just remember it is YOUR case to win or loose . YOU have to do the leg work ,by that i mean you have to get the right information to win YOUR claim. No service officer can do it without your input . That is why you have to educate your self right here at HADIT by reading and asking questions so you can talk intelligent to your service officer and file your own paper work with a copy to your service officer.

As far as call backs on telephone ,if they returned all the calls they receive they would be on the phone constantly. They have to read every decision made by VA that they have power of attorney over, even if it means their weekend . I have met several DAVSO and have mucho respect for their work.BTW one day a week is set aside for just new training of constant new rules that are changing everyday. My two cents

How is it that different DAV RO's have different rules?

Can't I change my POA at any time?

I need a "Consummers Report" on Service Officers from various Service Organizations!

My DAV office at the regional VA assigned us SO's at random. I never had a decent one in ten years. They were the laziest bunch and never returned a single phone call. I still recommend having an SO but shop around if you can before signing the POA. I think you have to win your own claim. The SO can facilitate the process if they are able to get off their asses.

This is the very reason I DO NOT use them at all. I've never found ASOL that was worth his weight in water. My answer to this delima is to send copies of all my responses with the VA to my Senator, and Congressman each and every time. Senators and Congressmen get tired of getting your mail and the VA gets tired of hearing from them and about the mistakes they make which of course I point out each and every time in glaring BOLD LETTERS...

Bigvic 100% P/T Severe Spinal Canal Stenosis