Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

P&t Specially Adapted Housing Grant

Rate this question

dav_marine72

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Does anyone have any experience with the housing grant? I am waiting on my award letter for TDIU P&T to come probably this week. I have intermittent paralysis in both lower extremities from service connected back. I was awarded 10% for lower extremity weakness at the BVA last year. That decision was vacated by the U.S. court based on the fact they should have rated dual lower extremity weakness because I have intermittent numbness in both legs, feet, etc. I have been prescribed a cane by my surgeon since March 2009. Here is how the eligability reads:

The Specially Adapted Housing Grant is available to veterans or servicemembers who are entitled to compensation for permanent and total service-connected disability due to:

a. The loss, or loss of use, of both lower extremities such as to preclude locomotion without the aid of braces, crutches, canes, or a wheelchair.

b. Blindness in both eyes having only light perception, plus loss or loss of use of one lower extremity.

c. The loss, or loss of use, of one lower extremity together with

(1)

residuals of organic disease or injury, or

(2)

the loss or loss of use of one upper extremity.

Item (1) and Item (2) above must so affect the functions of balance or propulsion as to preclude locomotion without the aid of braces, crutches, canes, or a wheelchair.

d. The loss, or loss of use, of both upper extremities, so as to preclude use of the arms at or above the elbows.

e. The permanent and total disability is due to a severe burn injury (as so determined).

It would seem to me I meet requirement number 1 based on my service connections and the cane prescription. Anyone try to get this before?

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I was denied because my power chair was issued due to non SC issues although I was able to get smaller projects done thru the ILP program to make my bathroom more handicap accessible.....

Does anyone have any experience with the housing grant? I am waiting on my award letter for TDIU P&T to come probably this week. I have intermittent paralysis in both lower extremities from service connected back. I was awarded 10% for lower extremity weakness at the BVA last year. That decision was vacated by the U.S. court based on the fact they should have rated dual lower extremity weakness because I have intermittent numbness in both legs, feet, etc. I have been prescribed a cane by my surgeon since March 2009. Here is how the eligability reads:

The Specially Adapted Housing Grant is available to veterans or servicemembers who are entitled to compensation for permanent and total service-connected disability due to:

a. The loss, or loss of use, of both lower extremities such as to preclude locomotion without the aid of braces, crutches, canes, or a wheelchair.

b. Blindness in both eyes having only light perception, plus loss or loss of use of one lower extremity.

c. The loss, or loss of use, of one lower extremity together with

(1)

residuals of organic disease or injury, or

(2)

the loss or loss of use of one upper extremity.

Item (1) and Item (2) above must so affect the functions of balance or propulsion as to preclude locomotion without the aid of braces, crutches, canes, or a wheelchair.

d. The loss, or loss of use, of both upper extremities, so as to preclude use of the arms at or above the elbows.

e. The permanent and total disability is due to a severe burn injury (as so determined).

It would seem to me I meet requirement number 1 based on my service connections and the cane prescription. Anyone try to get this before?

Yes you could qualify, but it requires you to be rated 100% or IU. IN addition you must request the grant, and in all likely hood you will be required to go to another C/P exam. I was awarded the housing grant based on the loss of use of my left foot (dropfoot) together with organic disease ( degenerative disc disease) about five years ago. Good luck

This is the Special Adaptive Housing Reg:

(the application form should be at the VA web site under Comp & Pension and then under Forms)

"A certificate of eligibility for assistance in acquiring

specially adapted housing under 38 U.S.C.A. § 2101(a) is

warranted if the veteran is entitled to compensation for

permanent and total service-connected disability due to: (A)

The loss or loss of use of both lower extremities such as to

preclude locomotion without the aid of braces, crutches,

canes, or a wheelchair; (B) Blindness in both eyes, having

only light perception, plus the anatomical loss or loss of

use of one lower extremity; © The loss or loss of use of

one lower extremity together with residuals of organic

disease or injury or the loss or loss of use of one upper

extremity that so affect the functions of balance or

propulsion as to preclude locomotion without the aid of

braces, crutches, canes, or a wheelchair; or (D) The loss, or

loss of use, of both upper extremities such as to preclude

the use of arms at or above the elbows.

The term "preclude locomotion" means the necessity for

regular and constant use of a wheelchair, braces, crutches or

canes as a normal mode of locomotion although occasional

locomotion by other methods may be possible. 38 C.F.R. §

3.809(d).

In addition, a certificate of eligibility for assistance in

acquiring a special home adaptation grant may be granted

under 38 U.S.C.A. § 2101(:D where the veteran is not entitled

to a certificate of eligibility for assistance in acquiring

specially adapted housing under 38 U.S.C.A. § 2101(a). The

veteran must be entitled to compensation for permanent and

total disability that (1) is due to blindness in both eyes

with 5/200 visual acuity or less, or (2) includes the

anatomical loss or loss of use of both hands."

I know 2 local vets who got this grant.

It helps to put Special Adaptive Hpusing into the BVA search browser to find claims where they grated SAH and then why they denied in other claims.

• HadIt.com Elder

So if a Veteran who is 100% is issued a rollator by VA they would be eligible for special adaptive housing grant?