Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Berta Help - Got My Rating

Rate this question

Mark

Question

Hi Berta,

I got my rating today from the VA. RThey rated my loss of vision from migraines as 30%. They granted it and rated based upon the Dr's reports and the evaluations - all conducted by the VA, but tthe Dr said it was permanent in nature but they did not grant me P&T. I was 100% before. They said no change in my status. I was already 100% scheduler so I am just adding another 30% rating. The letter states that the arting is based upon "impairment of field of vision is based upon objective testing" Goldman visual feild testing revealed your response, fixation and reliability good. Field finding of your left eye were not within normal limits as you were unable to see the fixation target without a red light at the time necessary for fixation and your vision was mapped at a concentric of 3 degrees centrally.

They go on to say that they have assigned a 30% disability based upon based upon unilateral visual field concentric contractions to 5degrees or less. Higher evals are assigned for more severe levels of impairment.

OK. hereis my question. 1) If the Dr says it is permananet in nature and it has been going on for 4 or 5 years why not grant me P&T? 2) if I have 3 percent vision or on my best day 5 why throw in the line about higher evals are reserved for worse vision loss?

What should I do file a NOD or a CUE?

Mark

• Answers 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

John.

I am a a gov employee under FERS under FERS working for DoD. Is there a website that might have the info my personnel office is not very helpful and I would rather do the research myself. Thanks.

Mark

• HadIt.com Elder

Mark

I think you can go to www.opm.gov. Look under Retirement and then under Disability Retirement. I got disability retirement and I was under FERS. It is easy and not hard at all compared to SSA or VA. If you have been employed for 18 months you can apply for disability retirement.

John- question-

I have a friend who was employed at local VAMC for many years- maybe about 10 years.

He was 40% SC due to leg injury and had 2 PHs (Nam)- one for the GSW to the leg-

At the VA, while at work, his SC GSW leg got injured again and they retired him on some sort of FERS disability.

He then got 100% plus SMC for SC disabilities a few years after that.

He is difficult to talk to but a real good friend of mine-I mean his PTSD jumbles his mind up as he would say-

I asked him to see of he was eligible for SSA- the VA job was only federal job he ever had-

He claims that the FERS for the 10 year VA job wipes out any SSA he could get.But he was employed under SSA for years too I think (and has the miltary work credits)

A bonafide -no problems whatsoever- SSA disabilty claim-

but then again 5 years might have passed since he became unemployed.

If not- is he possibly eligible for FERS and also SSA too?

He worries about his wife if he dies due to his AO condition but she would need to know too if he was eligible for SSA.

She quit a fed job to take care of him.But she has plenty of SSA credits on her own record.

• HadIt.com Elder

Mark

I get FERS, SSA disability and VA TDIU. There is an offset in your FERS if you get SSA disability but there is no offset for the VA compensation. As part of FERS disability process you have to apply for SSA disability at the same time.

Mark- I dont know- here is the VA Special Adaptive Housing Program info and the application:

http://www.vba.va.gov/ro/manchester/lgymai...ptedhousing.htm