Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Vietnam Veteran?

Rate this question

deltaj

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Here's the situation folks. Last week my husband, who has a protected 100% rating for a service connected mental condition, was diagnosed with diabetes. He is not insulin dependent yet. Unfortunately, his DD214 doesn't show service in Vietnam. Furthermore, his list of medals from the National Personnel Records Center doesn't show anything about it. I believe he is telling the truth because he has nightmares about combat. He was in First Experimental Regiment which later shipped out as First Cavalry during the Vietnam War. He rarely discusses his Vietnam service because his records don't show he was there and he is embarrassed by this. He tells me that in about 1962 he was sent to Vietnam with a Special Operations Group where he did one combat mission there. He got stabbed in combat and woke up in a hospital. He doesn't know what hospital he was in. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could prove he is a Vietnam veteran? Furthermore, there was a letter sent to VARO in 1982 by a special investigator for a county in California concerning the fact that neighbors of this veteran [who has a mental disability] had stated this veteran was "healthy as a horse and our taxes pay for his leisure." The letter inquired whether there was an annual evaluation for this veteran since he was disabled for welfare purposes but was receiving periodic unemployment benefits. Anyway the letter had the notation NAM veteran in a circle and the word NAM was lined through. This 1982 notation leads me to believe that V.A. used to have evidence that he was a Vietnam veteran but shredded the evidence. The scratched out notation NAM reminds me of a recent court case Cushman v. Shinseki where V.A. altered a medical record.

Any suggestions? I know that when my husband dies I will be entitled to DIC under 38 U.S.C. 1318 but service connecting his death could be useful.

Edited by deltaj

• Answers 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder
Here's the situation folks. Last week my husband, who has a protected 100% rating for a service connected mental condition, was diagnosed with diabetes. He is not insulin dependent yet. Awhile back when he received his medals I'm pretty sure there was a red, green, and yellow ribbon bar for Vietnam service. On google (the internet),I've looked at images of the Vietnam service medal and the Vietnam service ribbon bar without the medal, which is what I believe he received. Unfortunately, his DD214 doesn't show service in Vietnam. Furthermore, his list of medals from the National Personnel Records Center doesn't show anything about it. I believe he is telling the truth because he has nightmares about combat. He was in First Experimental Regiment which later shipped out as First Cavalry during the Vietnam War. He rarely discusses his Vietnam service because his records don't show he was there and he is embarrassed by this. He tells me that in about 1962 he was sent to Vietnam with a Special Operations Group where he did one combat mission there. He got stabbed in combat and woke up in a hospital. He doesn't know what hospital he was in. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could prove he is a Vietnam veteran? It did occur to me that he may have received the Vietnam service bar because of a unit commendation but I don't know how to prove that he was in Vietnam when his unit received a unit commendation. Furthermore, there was a letter sent to VARO in 1982 by a special investigator for a county in California concerning the fact that neighbors of this veteran [who has a mental disability] had stated this veteran was "healthy as a horse and our taxes pay for his leisure." The letter inquired whether there was an annual evaluation for this veteran since he was disabled for welfare purposes but was receiving periodic unemployment benefits. Anyway the letter had the notation NAM veteran in a circle and the word NAM was lined through. This 1982 notation leads me to believe that V.A. used to have evidence that he was a Vietnam veteran but shredded the evidence. The scratched out notation NAM reminds me of a recent court case Cushman v. Shinseki where V.A. altered a medical record.

Any suggestions? I know that when my husband dies I will be entitled to DIC under 38 U.S.C. 1318 but service connecting his death could be useful.

I am not a military historian but the 1st Cavalary went to Vietnam in 1965 as this website shows http://www.first-team.us/tableaux/chapt_08/ I don't know how long your husband served in the Army, if his 201 file does not show Vietnam service then it is likely he wasn't there since you state hehas alrady been SC long enough to have a protected rating and thus you have been getting VA benefits for more than 20 years, regardless of what is the cause of death, tring to show Vietnam service when the 201 file does not show it, is usually a fight that is hard to win, unless he has stayed in contact with veterans of the units he served with, and they can verify he was in Nam and their militay records show it, but I even looked up Special Operations Group (SOG) which usually means Special Forces they did not go to Nam until 1964 so that still doesn't meet the 1962 time frame you are dealing with, yes we had military forces there sicne 1959 I beleive but many were there as obervors and not in combat units.

Sometimes as we get older and gain weight people do get diabetes, my grand parents did, as many other people do. Since you are protected and can't prove Vietnam service you may just want to let this sleeping dog lie, the VA will still treat him if he does get active diabetes sinnce he is 100% and as far as the neighbors go to hell with them....they didn't live your lives...... I haven't told my neighbors anything about my finances it ain't their business....it's that plain and simple I am in a power chair and have a disabled vet license plate so I am sure they aren't stupid but it's not a subject we have ever discussed....South Carolina is a large military supporter and there are many military retirees and about 2500 100% disabled vets that live here. I I don't stick out like a sore thumb

• HadIt.com Elder
I am not a military historian but the 1st Cavalary went to Vietnam in 1965 as this website shows http://www.first-team.us/tableaux/chapt_08/ I don't know how long your husband served in the Army, if his 201 file does not show Vietnam service then it is likely he wasn't there since you state hehas alrady been SC long enough to have a protected rating and thus you have been getting VA benefits for more than 20 years, regardless of what is the cause of death, tring to show Vietnam service when the 201 file does not show it, is usually a fight that is hard to win, unless he has stayed in contact with veterans of the units he served with, and they can verify he was in Nam and their militay records show it, but I even looked up Special Operations Group (SOG) which usually means Special Forces they did not go to Nam until 1964 so that still doesn't meet the 1962 time frame you are dealing with, yes we had military forces there sicne 1959 I beleive but many were there as obervors and not in combat units.

Sometimes as we get older and gain weight people do get diabetes, my grand parents did, as many other people do. Since you are protected and can't prove Vietnam service you may just want to let this sleeping dog lie, the VA will still treat him if he does get active diabetes sinnce he is 100% and as far as the neighbors go to hell with them....they didn't live your lives...... I haven't told my neighbors anything about my finances it ain't their business....it's that plain and simple I am in a power chair and have a disabled vet license plate so I am sure they aren't stupid but it's not a subject we have ever discussed....South Carolina is a large military supporter and there are many military retirees and about 2500 100% disabled vets that live here. I I don't stick out like a sore thumb

Not sure the "Observer" role is completely accurate. Have met Vets whom were ASA who have told a very different story.

billy2,

Why do you say that ?

carlie

carlie,

I wish I knew how to copy and paste.

Deltaj said that in 1962 he was sent to Vietnem where he did one combat mission. He got stabbed in combat and woke up in a hospital.

If he was in hand to hand combat and got wounded he should have received a Purple Heart. I'm just quoting Deltaj.

Bill