Levels Of Depression

Rate this question

sbrewer

Question

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

They rate depression just like any other mental disability.

This might help- the vet was denied for the EED but she has service connected depression.

http://www.va.gov/vetapp06/files1/0600315.txt

All SC ratings are determined as to how much the SC disability affects your ability to work.

That is how they get the percentage.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Thanks Berta,

I did not know what the dr. meant by" major depression". She said my husband was mis diagnosed 25 yrs

ago and should have been major depression. I don't know why she said this but, I asked him if he was

going to put in for an increase and he said that he thought he would either have to be unemployed or

in the hospital to do so . He is currently 10%. Long story but he just started going back to dr(the VA

said they had lost him) and anyway that's when she said he had "major depression".

She also told him to put in a claim for heart disease as depression caused it.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

sbrewer

• HadIt.com Elder

Major depression is a psychotic disorder. It is a major mental illness. If your husband was to go into the VA hospital it would help his claim for an increase. He can go in as a voluntary patient. The VA has no desire to keep vets inside anymore. It is too expensive. They will just play with his medications until he is stable and then send him home. As long as he is not suicidal they won't keep him. Even without being in the hospital if your husband is currently suffering from a major depression he should be getting more than 10%.

sbrewer-if this doctor was a MD (not a PHD) and she could give a medical rationale for her statement- regarding the heart disease and depression-

he could claim the heart disease as secondary to the depression.

Rationale is a term VA uses meaning a doctor's medical expertise and background that would make their opinion valid.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Thanks everyone for the valuble information.

I know I keep asking silly questions, but he can't seem to find a decent VSO here either.

I did also talk to Patrick on the other site and he told me how they rate the depression as in

mild, moderate and so forth.

Again thanks so much,

sbrewer

Few more questions...

I went back and read the response from Berta again and forgot to ask

Is a Psychologist an MD or PHD? MD stands for Medical Doctor what does PHD stand for? His dr.

for mental health is a Psychologist, so would her statement not be enough? He does have a MD

at the VA also, but she seems to be just paying her dues(for her education). She actually told him

a while back that she was tired of all the veterans trying to get service connected, so she would be of

no help. He may try to get a different dr. because of another issue with this same dr.(about his toe)

She will not write him a statement that his toe would bend before she sent him to Podiatrist, who did

surgery and now the toe will not bend. She told him he needed to talk back to the Pod. and he will

not give him the time of day.

Thanks,

sbrewer