Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Have A Claims Appointment

Rate this question

devildog1978

Question

I have a claims appointment for next Wednesday in Beaufort. I am nervous and do not want to be unprepared for the visit. I want to have my Rheumatoid arthritis rating changed. Since my discharge and initial rating of 40% for bilateral hands, wrists, and ankles I have had my methotrexate increased and Humira added to my medication.

I was rated at 10% for tinunitis but even when the ringing is not there I have extreme difficulties hearing out of my right ear.

I was also rated at 10% for depression and with the increase in medication and the loss of my daughter, I struggle. I do not know how to express this...not good at the feelings stuff. Any advice would be appreciated.

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Be yourself and go through with it. things like this bring increased anxiety and BP.

just hang in there and you will be just fine.

J

I would not stress over it but I would check over the VA rating schedule so you know what the doctor will be looking to rate you on.  I have some similar conditions.  

Is your desired increase for loss of range of motion or the use of the medication you mentioned?

• HadIt.com Elder

Hey Devil Dog,

Let me tell you from a another Devil dog's experience with not showing my feelings. I have severe ddd at three levels with two failed surgerys which means no sitting, standing, or walking far without wanting to puke from the pain, severe daily panic attacks and anxiety, moderate asthma that causes me to wheeze most of the time, pes cavus in both feet and now ankle equines which means standing and walking far is out of the question, chronic right testicle pain, high blood pressure, eczema which causes me to itch constantly, there may be some more too LOL. For years I manned up and went to exams with my Marine face on. I get around people I don't know and I try to be the big old bad Marine. The problem is your body and mind somehow allow you to do this and look fine. Prior to me stopping work 7 months ago because I finally got TDIU most people at work couldn't even tell I had anything wrong with me. About three years ago in conjunction with hadit and other resources I realized most of my ratings were low because I sucked up the pain and played it cool in the exam. I finally realized if I was going to be able to take care of the wife and kids I had to get passed the hard corps deal.

I started telling the mental examiner the truth and even crying, in back exams I actually showed pain and told the truth, etc. Unfortunately VA examiners can be the most unqualified medical professionals to exam us but showing your true disabilities on exam day is crucial. I know it's tough as I keep everything inside myself but for exams you have to show your true self and how your disabilities affect you.

After I did this I went from 70% to 80% to 100%. Granted I am a mess but you get the picture.

Semper Fi Devil Dog

• HadIt.com Elder

Devildog,

There is information on the VA site that covers the C&P's. You can access the worksheet that the doctors use as their guide to see what they will be examining in the appointment. Your appointment letter should mention what the C&P is for. If not, call the reservation line and ask.

You should also write down all your medicines since the doctor will probably ask you for them. You should also note any side effects that are affecting you and maybe the disability.

Also, write a list of areas pertinent to the exam that you want to possibly discuss with the doctor or bring to his attention. Thus you won't forget in the stress of the moment at the exam. That list might involve the difficulties of everyday life...getting up, taking a bath, walking, opening a jar, little and big things that are worse than before, communicating with others, etc.

If they are transportable, take your copy of your medical records with you for your reference in case the doctor asks a question that could be found in those records.

In order to make this easier on you, here are two links, one the VA site and the other Medlineplus, a great site for investigating your medicines & disabilities (Under the medicine name will be found side effects.).

VA Evaluation Worksheets: http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/Benefits/exams/index.htm

Medlineplus: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/medlineplus.html

One other note...my website has this info noted in Step 6 but you might want to check the whole website out in case there is something else mentioned that could aid you. http://www.howtoassemblevaclaims.com/index.html

I wish you well.

fanaticbooks