Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Nerve Damage And Muscle Atrophy

Rate this question

parsavers

Question

Guys and Gals,

Background on myself, 20% for DDD after 2 back surgeries, 10% for Siatica. Last C&P exam, examiner told me I had signs of drop foot and atrophy. Final decision, same disability ratings. I'm left handed and now my left calf is smaller than my right. Sounds like atrophy to me. Should I get be rated higher than I am. I'm getting ready to file another claim for Irritable bowel syndrome do to Gulf War. Any advise on this IBS, in order to maximize the %. Dang, it sucks getting old.

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

File for an increase on the radiculopathy. Foot Drop should warrant an increase.

J

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

BVA decisions like this one :

http://www.va.gov/vetapp09/files1/0906770.txt

(30% granted for IBS) can be a valuable source of info on how VA will consider symptoms and medical evidence for IBS claims.

At the VA web site , click on BVA and then decisions, and If you put IBS into the search thing and then the year (I always go with the recent 2009 decisions first) there is plenty of info in the decisions.

JBasser is right on the mark here-and I think he means the SMC K award for the foot drop-

The SMC K award is for loss of or loss of use of hand (such as inability to ,manipulate objects such as phone, money,keys etc)and the K for feet loss of use of means inability to propulse (to push off the foot) and/or to balance properly.

J has the expertise here and I hope he chimes in here again as I think the SMC K award is often overlooked by vets as well as the VA in rating decisions.

J-do I understand that a vet could get the "K" award for each hand and foot if the medical evidence warranted it-

without bilateral and funny math factor?

Edited by Berta

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes Berta. The Vet should be entitled to a higher rating on the nerve it self as the condition have evolved to includea foot drop. That raises the level of disability from a 10 percent (Mild) to a severe.

Foot drop is beyond the control of the person who has it and may also qualify for a LOU SMC of K.

J

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

Thanks Jbasser-

I am looking for a proper decision on accrued SMC (they say it is pending)-regarding my deceased husband.The LOU came from a 1151 stroke (which recently became a Direct SC stroke)

and caused him to have LOU of hands and feet.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.