Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Nerve Damage And Muscle Atrophy

Rate this question

parsavers

Question

Guys and Gals,

Background on myself, 20% for DDD after 2 back surgeries, 10% for Siatica. Last C&P exam, examiner told me I had signs of drop foot and atrophy. Final decision, same disability ratings. I'm left handed and now my left calf is smaller than my right. Sounds like atrophy to me. Should I get be rated higher than I am. I'm getting ready to file another claim for Irritable bowel syndrome do to Gulf War. Any advise on this IBS, in order to maximize the %. Dang, it sucks getting old.

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Hello Par,,,,,this is some sound advice from J and Berta and foot drop does award more if granted. I want to bring something to your attention for consideration. You have IBS and I have IBD (disease). Basically these are Immune Deficiency problems. I am dealing with infection after infection and as the immune system gets more weakened, then the infections become more frequent. Eventually the veteran usually dies from this complication. Chemical exposures are a BIG DEAL , not that they can destroy the Central Nervous System. the heart, the lungs, cause cancers, but the fact that IBS and it can turn into IBD.

I would suggest watching closely for any infections and the frequency. Ear , eye, hand , arm,legs feet, or any other part of your body. I would also seek an opinion on this from a private doctor if VA just turns the other cheek.

I have not filed an immune system claim and a couple more , ALL SECONDARY to the original claims. We don't want to do anything until the DRO makes a decision before the one yr appeal deadline in April. Once we move the file and get some kind of decision on my multiple diseases and claims then we will probably file this. It is already in my private doctors notes and in 2 nexus, and in one VA doctors notes.

There is plenty of medical evidence showing IBS and IBD as an immune system problem so doing some research from you old notes , records and doctors reports may open this door which would be of benefit to you. If not for rating and scheduler in your claims process but also to try and keep you alive. I have seen a pattern that VA does not like to deal with any immune system problems because many of them are secondary problems which cause it. However it is the leading cause of death to our Veteran community from there diseases and wounds and the Veteran has to gather the evidence and propel the problem to the VA which trys to just sluff it off. It might be their way of removing the Veteran from their files....you know the old saying here......Delay , Delay, Delay, Deny , Deny , Deny, until you Die, Die, Die. You can bet they know the relationship with Immune system problems and the outcome of them.

The immune system problems just don't effect the little soldiers , but as you remember not just a yr or 2 ago , General Wayne Downing , Chief of staff died from a bacterial infection and he was only 62 or 63 yrs old I think. He was a soldiers soldier and we may never find out the secrets of his immune sytem being compromised. There are alot of people on this board who are chemical exposure veterans or their wives(Berta being one of them) that can give you help with your claim and talk more on the IBS/IBD relationships to immune system. I also think Hoppy is one of them too as well as some others.

Do you have any type of Peripheral Neuropathy diagnosis or other nerve diseases? J and Berta are more familiar with the Foot drop awards process though I have not yet progressed to this state so I cannot personally comment on my experience with it though I know the 38 CFR and M21's discuss it and list the schedular and award criteria.

As far as being at the rating board , there is no set time limit but it seems from what everyone writes about their experience it can be from 6 months or so to a year or even two. I know there are others that have longer and we occasionally see a post here that gives a 3-4 month decision,(hope this could be you). I am still at the appeal DRO though it is now running out of time there and almost to the one year deadline.

I would watch your immune sytem closely because of your IBS and can only tell you like you said it.....its no fun. I would get your IMO'S and document any problems that you develope. Especially getting a nexus from the doctor or doctors on your atrophy problems, the foot drop and ask someone here about the filing of immune system problems.

Glad you are at the rating board though. Sounds like you may have a success story. God Bless, NEVER GIVE UP. C.C.