Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Effective Dates For Reopened Claims

Rate this question

12R3G

Question

I'm hoping for some help/clarification. I helped by Father in Law finally get a disability rating for hearing and tinnitis. He filed his original claim in 1995 and was denied as hearing loss was not in his STR, and as result he didn't pursue. I convinced him otherwise, and he just got a 20% award and can (finally) get new hearing aids.

My question is this...his effective date for the award was the date he filed the claim to reopen with new and material evidence. but, he his original claim was 14 years ago. To make matters a little more interesting, he thinks it was within the 12 months before he filed that he asked his VA doctor about hearing aids. Alll is doc said was he wasn't eligible--he had no SC disability (again, did nothing)

Here is where I get confused. Looking at the M-21MR for reopened claims:

Para 20 ©: Effective dates are governed by 38 CFR 3.400(q)

Para 22. (A): The date of receipt of statements from the claimant that are held to be new and material evidence may constitute an effective date for increased benefits under 38 CFR 3.400(q).

38CFR 3.400(q): (q) New and material evidence (§3.156) other than service department records —(1) Received within appeal period or prior to appellate decision. The effective date will be as though the former decision had not been rendered. See §§20.1103, 20.1104 and 20.1304(:rolleyes:(1) of this chapter.

(2) Received after final disallowance. Date of receipt of new claim or date entitlement arose, whichever is later.

But, right below, 38 CFR 3.400®: ® Reopened claims. (§§3.109, 3.156, 3.157, 3.160(e)) Date of receipt of claim or date entitlement arose, whichever is later, except as provided in §20.1304(:lol:(1) of this chapter.

[3.156(D): (4) A retroactive evaluation of disability resulting from disease or injury subsequently service connected on the basis of the new evidence from the service department must be supported adequately by medical evidence. Where such records clearly support the assignment of a specific rating over a part or the entire period of time involved, a retroactive evaluation will be assigned accordingly, except as it may be affected by the filing date of the original claim. (The rest don't apply in this case)]

So, if the chat with the doc was documented, then that should be an informal claim date provided it was within the year before this latest claim was filed. but, based on the seemingly conflicting information above, can he ultimately preveail in a request for an EED back to his original claim? To further flesh this out, he filed in 1995--about the time he got hearing aids on his own dime. His letters, from friends and both current and former doctors , document hearing loss dating back well before the 1995 original claim was filed.

I'm thinking NOD for EED back to original claim...

Thanks in advance / Charles

• Answers 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Broncovet

Don't take it personal. You would be amazed at how little the VA cares about retro awards and interest. They treat most of us the same and it took me 5 and 1/2 years to get mine and was still cheated out of 26 months of 100% retro and15 years of SMC S Award retro.

Focus on winning your claim and than if not happy fight for the crumbs left on the table. I am pretty much satisfied with the security that I have now for me and my wife.